IGNORED

Trout season opens 4/1!!!

NJDFW

I fished early afternoon yesterday for an hour or two with my 5 year old son.  We hit 2 spots on the South Branch.   Fished trout magnets and spinners.  Was really slow in the two spots I tried.  Didn’t see anyone else hook a thing.  He had one on that spit the hook right at our feet.  Will be back at it again with him this afternoon.   Hoping we have more luck today. 

7 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I'm not attempting to hammer anyone, but if the plan right now is catch and release, that means no gill grabs and no fish placed on dry ground.  Keep your hands wet when handling any fish you plan to release.  If you are killing the fish for food, then handling is not important.  

exactly.   Suture clamps work great, keep fish in the water, do not wreck it's protective slime with dry leaves and dirt, do not touch gills - ever.  

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

• BowhunterNJ changed the title to Trout season opens 4/1!!!

Also, you can toss out those ultra cheap, green plastic (nylon) nets and replace them with rubber mesh wooden nets for only $30 from several companies.  You don't need to drop over $100 on an expensive Brodin or other net just to get the rubber mesh although I prefer the fancy stuff myself.    

I'm not attempting to hammer anyone, but if the plan right now is catch and release, that means no gill grabs and no fish placed on dry ground.  Keep your hands wet when handling any fish you plan to release.  If you are killing the fish for food, then handling is not important.  

WOW.. you do care about the Dorito's:kissy:

Edited by bucky

4 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Also, you can toss out those ultra cheap, green plastic (nylon) nets and replace them with rubber mesh wooden nets for only $30 from several companies.  You don't need to drop over $100 on an expensive Brodin or other net just to get the rubber mesh although I prefer the fancy stuff myself.    

How about the micro mesh nets from Frabill?  I have the wooden micro mesh net and it seems to work as well as the rubber net in not removing the slime.

4 hours ago, bucky said:

WOW.. you do care about the Dorito's:kissy:

No, just proper C&R techniques regardless of species.  :) 

Most anglers don't realize when they improperly handle a fish they intend to release.  And often they will be quick to defend themselves by saying how healthy the fish was when released.  What they often don't know is that those fish will die hours or days later.  

Was guys everywhere I went tonight .

So waded a spot off the beaten paths for almost a mile . Not a bump tonight .

not another person around  and still enjoyed being out 

highlight of the night was hearing a THUNDER CHICKEN. shake the woods .

few mouth yelps had him strutting on the edge of the river bank in a minute .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

hit the paulinskill with my son 4:30 - 6:30.  only one guy there, he had it all to himself.   Said he had already landed 42 and was there  most of the day..    My son and I combined for 40 in two hours. A few decent ones 12-13" but nothing big most 9-10".  I think I got my fill of trout fishing for the year. Sort of fun on super ultralight / 2lb test, but would gladly trade quantity for quality.   

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Went out yesterday afternoon with my younger son and caught a bunch each while dry fly fishing. Went back out again with both sons tonight again they were taking drys all evening. Only one other fisherman with us plenty of room for us all to fly fish. Even stockies are fun on drys just wish they pulled better. Anyone wanting to learn to fly fish this is a good time with so many fish the competition has them grabbing everything. Hendricksons were the go to fly.