bucky

Ocean Fluke Report

Posted (edited)

Jumped on a 5 man charter Sunday out of Highlands, we fished from the Highlands Bridge south to the Rocks to Elberon and back hitting many rock piles,lumps,humps, sandy bottom, you name it we hit it and only managed 1K,20 shorts and 6 k seabass. We probably could of beat up on the shorts but elected not to,I have to admit it was a nice day on the water but that's getting old quick! Whoever says there isn't an issue with fluke numbers you better think again, fluke fishing has been going down hill for the past few years and still going in my opinion :down:

Edited by bucky

I will be out again on Saturday,lets hope for the best:up:

• Like 1

Will be out this week .

Going to spend more time looking for bait than fishing i think.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Definitely been a hard year but only this year. The past few years we have done great with mo2r limits than not. 

Edited by Buck154

But its a far cry from 3-4 years ago when a 5 fish limit was caught on most trips and then went into release mode

1 hour ago, bucky said:

Jumped on a 5 man charter Sunday out of Highlands, we fished from the Highlands Bridge south to the Rocks to Elberon and back hitting many rock piles,lumps,humps, sandy bottom, you name it we hit it and only managed 1K,20 shorts and 6 k seabass. We probably could of beat up on the shorts but elected not to,I have to admit it was a nice day on the water but that's getting old quick! Whoever says there isn't an issue with fluke numbers you better think again, fluke fishing has been going down hill for the past few years and still going in my opinion :down:

It’s not even close to what it once was around Raritan. But then no fishery is now what it once was. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Was talking with one of my brother's about going out with in a week....he said Highlands fluke....I said Belmar..... for Ling and Blackies....(Golden Eagle)....post it up fellas, please!

Edited by Shootemthenmountem
boat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

It’s not even close to what it once was around Raritan. But then no fishery is now what it once was. 

seems it's been a good year for Tuna - slight uptick at least.  Bluefish is once again futile for the summer fishing, and fluke definitely took a down-tick this season but I really think way above normal rainfall kept them out of the bay. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

seems it's been a good year for Tuna - slight uptick at least.  Bluefish is once again futile for the summer fishing, and fluke definitely took a down-tick this season but I really think way above normal rainfall kept them out of the bay. 

I live on Raritan Bay almost my entire life. Years ago I could catch my limit in two hrs without leaving Keyport basin. Same with weakfish which all but disappeared from Raritan. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have a feeling you find the bait you find the fish. I'm glad we have a bunch of short fish because in a few years it's going to be really good.

Also I believe the bigger fluke are out east in the cooler deeper water. But what do I know lol

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, bucky said:

I will be out again on Saturday,lets hope for the best:up:

Good report bucky. Seems to be the case the last few years...GL Saturday.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MZ7Extreme said:

I have a feeling you find the bait you find the fish. I'm glad we have a bunch of short fish because in a few years it's going to be really good.

Also I believe the bigger fluke are out east in the cooler deeper water. But what do I know lol

We had 69 degree water and the bucktails were coming up cold, some people are saying its too cold, we also had a lot of bait in some areas:hmmmer:

Edited by bucky

1 hour ago, bucky said:

We had 69 degree water and the bucktails were coming up cold, some people are saying its too cold, we also had a lot of bait in some areas:hmmmer:

I was out one day and we were on a school of keepers only. Came back the next day and they were gone, all we caught were shorts.

These fish move a lot. And if the bottom temp was 69 that's very warm .