IGNORED

Closing pheasant farm just sad.

Liv2huntnfish123

24 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

A snow storm about five years ago and it has zero to do with this decision. Zero. Avian flu is driving the state out of the pheasant rearing business. Hunters still get the same number of stocked birds and we save hundreds of thousands. And no employees lost their jobs. A win for NJ hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no, wasn't there an issue two years ago that led to an unpublished death rate of about 60% of the birds? i dont think F&W made it public.

its ok if you just don't know.

58 minutes ago, aceswild said:

It says by buying the pheasant they are saving a couple hundred thousand dollars a year which is awesome. Money that can be allocated to other programs  or buying more birds than they produced before

yeah use it to stock the WMAs with deer :rofl:

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

On 12/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, mfried said:

no, wasn't there an issue two years ago that led to an unpublished death rate of about 60% of the birds? i dont think F&W made it public.

its ok if you just don't know.

Yes, I forgot until you just mentioned it.  It happened the very next year due to them replacing the nets and not yet understanding the new facility's ventilation needs.  A few birds get diseased which is very common in any rearing facility and that quickly spread.  It was the year after the snow damage when the facility was largely rebuilt and many new pieces of the puzzle were replaced that were different from the previous netting and other things that got damaged.  Again, that was not the reason they are closing this.  The costs are becoming unbearable due to new regulations placed on them and those costs weren't covered by the stamp as they were new costs and the stamp is the same price it's been for well over a decade.

As for the Rockport Rockets, I was never once impressed with their flying capabilities.  In fact, it was a huge reason I bought a Brittany (and later a second one) to chase grouse and woodcock.  You can never compare a pen raised anything to its wild counterpart, but the Rockport birds just suck IMO.  I've hunted a few preserves as a guest and have always seen better flying birds with tails when I shoot elsewhere.  I'm a wild bird snob, so it's hard for me to ever get excited about stocked pheasants.  To me, they were just something to keep my dog sharp after woodcock ended and when I started to slow down grouse hunting out of state.  I'm that same snob with trout for what it's worth.      

On 12/12/2018 at 11:42 AM, maximus66 said:

There are a lot of problems with public procurement and drives up costs immensely. I deal with it daily, a public entity will usually have to pay 60% more for a good or service because of the procurement laws and lack of flexibility in cost savings derived from increased insurance requirements, etc. placed on vendors dealing with governmental institutions

Edited by stratocaster
double post

There are a lot of problems with public procurement and drives up costs immensely. I deal with it daily, a public entity will usually have to pay 60% more for a good or service because of the procurement laws and lack of flexibility in cost savings derived from increased insurance requirements, etc. placed on vendors dealing with governmental institutions

M66, at least you have the courage to admit this>>a public entity will usually have to pay 60% more for a good or service because of the procurement laws and lack of flexibility in cost savings derived from increased insurance requirements, etc. placed on vendors dealing with governmental institutions. Being in the public sector you are one of the very few who tells it like it is.  

M66, at least you have the courage to admit this>>a public entity will usually have to pay 60% more for a good or service because of the procurement laws and lack of flexibility in cost savings derived from increased insurance requirements, etc. placed on vendors dealing with governmental institutions. Being in the public sector you are one of the very few who tells it like it is.  

On 12/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, maximus66 said:

Brian, i respectfully disagree on one point. The birds will in no way compare to the Rockport Rockets as I stated above. And if the projection is to save hundreds of thousands is the win you’re referring to a reduction in stamp fee? Otherwise this really isn’t a win to the pheasant hunter by paying the same fee for lack luster birds

Again M66, straight on point.  Where is the $200k savings going?  They said the same thing about only producing rainbow trout at the hatchery, that it was so much less $ to rear rainbows.  Where did the savings go?   It is not a win to the hunter or fishermen because we pay the same or more and get less which is the exact opposite of the private sector. 

Nothing like hunting wild birds. Another sign of the times we live in. i quit hunting pheasants more than a few years back. The stocked birds seemed to know they wouldn't get shot while running on the ground, lol. As it was you had to kick them in the ass to get them off the ground.. Back in the day they'd give you a heart attack busting out the way they did.