IGNORED

Rattling....

B B

What do you use? Synthetic or real?  What brand synthetic?  What's your success rate when rattling (kills and/or sightings)?  Whats your thoughts on the old dried out real horns versus a fresh set of horns.

8 minutes ago, rocky said:

Knowing how and when to rattle during the rut is deadly. Adding decoys to that mix at the right time is what I enjoy the most. Too bad I can't post pics or video on this site. :banghead:

That’s ok - I can’t post pics on the snoozer site 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

There is probably a very small window where it works. .My experiences I have more younger deer come to the horns than anything else. I think the mature deer wont come running instead they like to circle downwind and pick you off and you never even see them. Out west, Ive observed some big bucks want nothing to do with it and keep going. I have had better luck tickling the antlers together than hard crashing. 

When I hunted in Saskatchewan, the rattling seems to work better but those deer rarely see people. The biggest buck I have personally seen called in with the horns was in Saskatchewan, it was a 162 in buck, who came into an all out brawl, at least he thought it was, pounding the ground, tree rubbimg , brush snapping horns locking. I really thought the guide was over doing it. We saw the buck cross the road a few 100 yrds ahead of us. . We jumped out of the truck and set up. 

15 mins later and the buck was on the ground.

I think the less encounters with people and hunting pressure, the better it works.  

www.liftxrentals.com

Funny, seems like everyone has had completely different experiences with grunting and rattling. For me, last year I brought in my biggest buck to date rattling. Called in 4 different bucks in one morning. Deep grunts. Too bad the biggest only had half a rack though. This was in November right at the peak of the chase phase before breeding. Right outside a thick cedar bedding area and I hadnt sat the stand once all year. Kept it undisturbed until what I felt would be perfect based on what I was seeing in the area. Of course knowing that there are big bucks on the place you hunt is key.

Funny, seems like everyone has had completely different experiences with grunting and rattling. For me, last year I brought in my biggest buck to date rattling. Called in 4 different bucks in one morning. Deep grunts. Too bad the biggest only had half a rack though. This was in November right at the peak of the chase phase before breeding. Right outside a thick cedar bedding area and I hadnt sat the stand once all year. Kept it undisturbed until what I felt would be perfect based on what I was seeing in the area. Of course knowing that there are big bucks on the place you hunt is key.

I have had zero luck with it personally. I scared off a little spiker once by crashing antlers together. :laughing:

But I have seen it work. I hunted on a ranch in Texas a number of years ago, I swear the ranch manager had deer blood in his veins. I watched him rattle in a big buck for another guy, he was grunting, rattling, snorting, throwing leaves around....pretty impressive. But it only worked once that I saw.

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

I use the Knight & Hale pack rat. Very easy to carry and it sounds amazing! It worked great in Kansas rattled in 5 different Bucks,including the one I killed. Rattled one in in Ohio but it came in too late for a good shot. N.J., I just tickle them. Don't want to scare the Deer! lol:eek: