IGNORED

Do we have any lawsuits regarding the upcoming bear hunt?

Bucksnbows

I sent NJOA some money a bunch of weeks ago when they asked for help to fund a lawsuit to fight the DEP's closure of state-owned lands for the upcoming bear hunt.  Today they asked for me, citing high expenses they have incurred and future defense funds they will need.  To date, I am unaware of ANY lawsuit initiated to get state lands reinstated as part of this hunt and am wondering if anyone here knows more?  I reached out to one of the NJOA founders and will post his reply here once I hear from him as to what their efforts are.  Not sure about the Safari Club who sued successfully in the past or NRA or other organizations that might be fighting for our rights.  If we knew the efforts, I'm sure more of us would be willing to donate to the cause.  

Everyone I speak with that is "in the know" feels we can easily win in state supreme court and have Murphy's order to his DEP Commissioner overturned.  That would likely end all bear hunt issues for as long as Murphy remains our Governor.  Anyone have info from any organizations that might be working hard for us?    

1 minute ago, 230jhp said:

I started a similar thread in the politics forum last Saturday.  As someone said "crickets"

Sorry I missed that post.  I reached out this morning to NJOA brass and hope to have something to report.  If they have begun any legal action, it is the world's best kept secret.  Not only NJOA, but others who have been involved in the past.  I will gladly give more of my hard-earned dollars to the cause, but I need to know if my money will actually be spent fighting this EO from Murphy or just used to keep the lights on.  

Just now, 230jhp said:

As I said in the other thread my concern is if this EO stands then what is there to stop him from applying another EO to hunting other species.

I'm no lawyer, but I do play one on the internet.  Seems to me that "public safety" being the reason is simple to overcome by any half-witted lawyer in a court of law.  If the public were truly at risk, why would it be okay to hunt private lands but not public lands.....there are still people living on and using private lands.     

“The New Jersey Outdoor Alliance, for our part, is working with our conservation partners in a coordinated effort to review the authority the Governor invoked in this action and what legal footing, if any, he has. We’re confident in a positive result for sportsmen.”

Thank you Gabriella Hoffman of Sporting Classics Daily for this great article!

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/hunting-is-a-bear-necessity/

31 minutes ago, rgw said:

“The New Jersey Outdoor Alliance, for our part, is working with our conservation partners in a coordinated effort to review the authority the Governor invoked in this action and what legal footing, if any, he has. We’re confident in a positive result for sportsmen.”

Great article! Thanks for sharing.

So which of the mentioned is best suited to join? I mean I don´t want to waste my money as BucksandBows mentioned above...

Great article, but it still doesn't address who is doing what and when and how.  That's what NJ hunters need to know.  I know I'm not going to give more money to any organization until their role in stopping Murphy is clearly spelled out.  Everyone seems to be "working with conservation partners", but I want to know who is doing what and when.  I fully realize that a group like the NJOA is all volunteer, but they still need to communicate more clearly if they want more funds to help in whatever actions they may be taking.  Same for Safari Club, Federation or any others out there.    

3 minutes ago, Black Bear Bowhunter said:

Question: If that gets challenged and overturned what´s the probability of that happening before segment A ?!?

I can say that something like 7 years ago when the hunts started annually - unlike the '03 and '05 individual hunts - the Safari Club I think it was sued (counter sued the antis?) and the case quickly ran up to the state supreme courts where it was  upheld and we've had annual hunts ever since.  So if there is a lawsuit pending, it should be heard quickly given the short time frame between the signed Executive Order and the upcoming fall archery season.  Courts allow special considerations out of time concerns as any attorney knows.  

59 minutes ago, rgw said:

Ok, read the article did not mention once any lawsuits have been filed. For everyone who belongs to one of or several of these organizations including myself I will really have to sit back and reconsider which if any I will be supporting in the future. It’s a total disgrace at this point.

I am not a member of SCI (Safari Club) but someone I know who is forwarded an email SCI sent its members yesterday.  It was soliciting information from NJ bear hunters who are also SCI members. So SCI is considering filing a legal challenge to the black bear hunting ban.

I sent an email to the SCI lawyer who was the author of the email and recommended they post a message here on  NJW&W. He told me he would discuss that with the other SCI lawyers. They are not soliciting information or funds from non-SCI members at this time, is how I read the situation.

34 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I am not a member of SCI (Safari Club) but someone I know who is forwarded an email SCI sent its members yesterday.  It was soliciting information from NJ bear hunters who are also SCI members. So SCI is considering filing a legal challenge to the black bear hunting ban.

I sent an email to the SCI lawyer who was the author of the email and recommended they post a message here on  NJW&W. He told me he would discuss that with the other SCI lawyers. They are not soliciting information or funds from non-SCI members at this time, is how I read the situation.

Good info.  What I am completely failing to understand is why it is taking hunter groups so long to come together.  Murphy ran on stopping the bear hunt.  He later made an announcement he planned to close all state lands, then more than 2 weeks ago he finally signed or had his Commissioner sign the order.  It's not like we had no idea it was coming, so why no progress on what friends at the Division and at the F&G Council tell me should be an easy victory for hunting?