IGNORED

What you shoot for turkey hunting?

Turkeyslayer

With the way everything going I see less and less guys shooting 12 gauge or guys moving from 3 1/2 inch to 3inch. I personally still shoot my 3 1/2 inch Winchester  with my long beards but it seems with the new shells guys are getting just as good patterns with 20’s 

I'm not an avid Turkey hunter but I'll answer your thread in a general fashion. Yes, the need for 3 1/2 inch turkey loads are no longer necessary if you want to transition to new "hevi" shot loads. You can get the same pattern density with much smaller shot. The go to Turkey gun years ago was a 10 ga. It's no longer needed. I wouldn't go through the expense of buying a new gun just so you can use a smaller gauge with the "hevi" shot. If what you have works, use it. It's a lot more economical anyway. 

I own a 3 1/2 inch gun. The main benefit I see in it now is using it with large steel shot and buckshot.  Again, not totally necessary but with large shot, it gives you more pellets. If patterned properly gives an advantage in killing power. 

When I did hunt Turkey I used 3 1/2", #4  Winchester Turkey Loads. 

Edited by archer36

Mossberg 835, I've had this gun since the 2nd year it came out, never any issues.  the factory choke is excellent with Winchester Suprems #5, also excellent with the HeviShot Choke and HeviShot Magnum Blend, and with the Indian Creek Choke as good with the Longbeard Ammo. For now she's a back up, damn thing kicks like a mule 

mossberg835_zps588ecc44.jpg.b68ba329614777d7d28c10af191babcd.jpg

I run multiple Mossberg 500s. I use a multitude of set ups. Either Indian Creek or Jebs chokes. I use Longbeard XR’s (6s) Apex 7.5s for NJ and when I’m out of state, use Apex #9s. All shells are 3” both in 20 and 12 gauge. 

3.5" shells are absolute overkill. I've found often they pattern worse than 3" and there's no reason to shoot a 2 1/4 oz load at a bird if it's 15-20 yards away. 

If they're close, it doesn't matter what you shoot them with; 5s, 6s, 7s, blends, TSS, brand, it should be a dead bird.

That being said, I love TSS :D  but I usually have it as my first load and have cheaper 5s as a follow up if absolutely needed for some reason. 

5 minutes ago, chenrossi said:

3.5" shells are absolute overkill. I've found often they pattern worse than 3" and there's no reason to shoot a 2 1/4 oz load at a bird if it's 15-20 yards away. 

If they're close, it doesn't matter what you shoot them with; 5s, 6s, 7s, blends, TSS, brand, it should be a dead bird.

That being said, I love TSS :D  but I usually have it as my first load and have cheaper 5s as a follow up if absolutely needed for some reason. 

3 inch will pattern better in a 3.5 chamber that hasn't had the forcing cone lengthened.