IGNORED

What you shoot for turkey hunting?

Turkeyslayer

Shot an 870 for years with 3” TSS and never had an issue with it. Switching this year to a 20 with 3” TSS. Cheaper (using that loosely) than 12 and still plenty to kill a bird that’s within range. 

1 hour ago, chenrossi said:

3.5" shells are absolute overkill. I've found often they pattern worse than 3" and there's no reason to shoot a 2 1/4 oz load at a bird if it's 15-20 yards away. 

If they're close, it doesn't matter what you shoot them with; 5s, 6s, 7s, blends, TSS, brand, it should be a dead bird.

That being said, I love TSS :D  but I usually have it as my first load and have cheaper 5s as a follow up if absolutely needed for some reason. 

I think most don’t plan on there pattern being shot at 15 yards I sight my gun in up to 50-60 yards

Awesome on paper..not used on a turkey yet. One day..we'll see

870 Express Mag in 12ga mine and sons Winchester XR Longbeards 3" 1&3/4oz of #5 using factory full choke

1100 2&3/4" only in 12ga Remington Nitro Turkey 1&1/2oz of #4 using factory full or a little tighter of a pattern using a factory Turkey ExtraFull choke.

I’ve been using Winchester super x 12 ga  2 3/4 #5 out of my 1100 with mod choke. This year it will be a 20 guage. Not 100% on shell yet but leaning towards longbeard #6

Close sucks.   One came in from behind me when I had one hung up at 65   He was 13 Yds.  My cheek must have not been in the stock.  Missed him and he flew off.   35 is better than 15. 

i Apex 6s now in tss.   95 should be chip shots. Lol.  

7 hours ago, fab said:

Close sucks.   One came in from behind me when I had one hung up at 65   He was 13 Yds.  My cheek must have not been in the stock.  Missed him and he flew off.   35 is better than 15. 

i Apex 6s now in tss.   95 should be chip shots. Lol.  

That’s what makes bow hunting for them so intense .

i want them between 8 and 10 yards .

can hear them spit , and hear their wings rustle  and vibrate as they strut .

one gobbling in your face at 5 yards is jolting .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Rem 870 12 ga 3" with xtra full has been getting it done for me for years.  Someone gave me a bunch of #4 lead Remington 3" magnum which i use for 2nd & 3rd shot if ever necessary.  1st shot is #6 or #5  or 5/6 duplex loads depending what is available in the store.  I don't think it makes much difference between #5 or #6.

Lots of talk about close/far shots. I considered using my O/U years ago. I haven't turkey hunted in about 3 years. It has 12 ga, selective barrels, 3" chamber. This, seems to me, is a great option for turkey hunting. Close shots, switch to the more open choke. Far shots, switch to tighter choke. Seems like a win/win. Also, you can mix loads. Use a "hevi" type shot for the long shots and lead for close.  

Why don't more turkey hunters utilize this option?

8 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Lots of talk about close/far shots. I considered using my O/U years ago. I haven't turkey hunted in about 3 years. It has 12 ga, selective barrels, 3" chamber. This, seems to me, is a great option for turkey hunting. Close shots, switch to the more open choke. Far shots, switch to tighter choke. Seems like a win/win. Also, you can mix loads. Use a "hevi" type shot for the long shots and lead for close.  

Why don't more turkey hunters utilize this option?

personally to many factors for me. the biggest is remembering most likely if a bird is that close it happened fast so I don’t wanna make any unnecessary moves second reason is follow up shot I like to have the same the rounds in my gun for all 3 that way I know that all 3 shots are good out to 55 yards that way if I miss at 20 and he goes to 50 I still have a shot in the gun that can go that far 

2 minutes ago, Turkeyslayer said:

personally to many factors for me. the biggest is remembering most likely if a bird is that close it happened fast so I don’t wanna make any unnecessary moves second reason is follow up shot I like to have the same the rounds in my gun for all 3 that way I know that all 3 shots are good out to 55 yards that way if I miss at 20 and he goes to 50 I still have a shot in the gun that can go that far 

Makes sense. But flicking a barrel selector is no different than flicking a safety. The same amount of movement, just a finger. You just hear about guys that had a turkey so close and their pattern was so tight, they missed.