IGNORED

Deer age poll

JHbowhunter

How would you rate the 2023 quality of mature bucks in your hunting areas?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rank the 2023 quality of mature bucks in your hunting areas over the past 10 years?

• Best in 10 years
    • 2nd best
    • 3rd best
    • 4th best
    • 5th best (right about in the middle, average)
    • 6th best
    • 7th best
    • 8th best
    • 9th best
    • WORST IN 10 years

Given that we have had a consecutive run of very mild winters with no real "winter kill" conditions, I would have expected 2023 deer season which is still ongoing, to have had record showings of mature age class bucks (I will define, in NJ as bucks estimated at age 4 and older....).   For me personally, I knew it was going to be slim pickings in my zones 5 and 2 areas based on low inventory by end of January of any bucks even over age 1.5).  Everyone I talk to is saying the same - plenty of does, decent supply of very young bucks but just no mature bucks.   I am talking what you see with your own two eyes and what you have scouted on cams. 

My theory is this is the after-effects of a very long pandemic that not only gave existing hunters a lot more time to hunt due to lost of job or just working from home and not having to commute, plus a high level of new-hunter recruitment. I also think that shooting does has lost some of it's luster, and the sad fact remains that with NJ still offering 6 buck tags in spite of wanting more does shot, the average hunter still prefers to shoot a young buck over a doe, any day of the week any day of the season. 

Me personally - by far the lowest inventory (there is 0 inventory) I have seen in 10 years. Not even a close second. Had I not been fortunate to get a good one right out of the gate very early, the season would have been an epic disaster and most of my friends are in the same boat.  I will go on some doe patrol at some point but I have not even hunted in weeks, just lost all motivation. (that is saying a LOT, for those that know me). 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

17 minutes ago, LittleM said:

I wish I could post pics of the Giant bucks I took over the course of summer/fall 2023 in Zone 5.  I didn't out of respect for those who hunt this area....

that must have been a challenge, living in the great liberal state of Colorado?

I shot a big 10pt once….

This season from summer till the present day one mature buck, as mentioned above plenty of does and young bucks. The mature buck I got on camera last year in early November a few times, saw him once in early November also last year, this year on camera in the summer, and a few times in late November and he grew nicely. Now I'm hoping he survived this season, time will tell. 

image.png.5d4ddd6ca7ba6acaeb78398078dc5f5c.png

image.png.77fb6e6dfe10a3073be25b3d6d6e3ffc.png

image.thumb.png.2578d92816b1f58f1cb268e7b7d28ccd.png

33 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I was very lucky this year. I shot two 8s & a 9. I had very few cameras out, but had some mature bucks. I only hunted 6 sits this year. 4 bow, 2 gun. 

The PA buck doesn't count for this poll and I don't think your NJ bucks were 4 yrs or older.  So in terms of what limited scouting you did based on the question and last 10 years, where does it rank?

I shot a big 10pt once….

This has potential to rival the deer drives and crossbow threads…. I’m a little disappointed in the participation so far…. But to be fair the real true experts haven’t started weighing in yet! You guys know who you are!! Lets hear it 

Edited by FDhunt1213

Weather Jersey or ANYWHERE your deer will be what you let them be!!!

Some pass through unseen others are passed with hopes for a bigger tomorrow.

I shot my deer this year at 3.5 years old more out of fear of either getting hit by a car or jacked out a truck window, both which have happened after years of watching and hunting.

Take when you can because someone else will unfortunately.

My deer was moving close to 4 miles before the rut it's all open season.

End game family feed 

IMG_20231001_160000197.jpg

IMG_20231224_171352086.jpg

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.