IGNORED

Deer age poll

JHbowhunter

How would you rate the 2023 quality of mature bucks in your hunting areas?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rank the 2023 quality of mature bucks in your hunting areas over the past 10 years?

• Best in 10 years
    • 2nd best
    • 3rd best
    • 4th best
    • 5th best (right about in the middle, average)
    • 6th best
    • 7th best
    • 8th best
    • 9th best
    • WORST IN 10 years

2 hours ago, nmc02 said:

I got a guy that is 10 miles from your house that makes the nicest longbows around...........

Nick, if he agrees to it post some of his bows on here. Literally the nicest I have seen. Osage orange wood I believe, no? 

How about spikes?  I’ve been hunting this state along time boys and years ago I hardly ever saw a spike. Now it’s gotta be about 25 percent of the bucks I see are spikes. You know they gotta be breeding. I think it’s every thing mentioned on here and high grading. 

And there’s a lot of people feeding deer all the time. I have two different people close to my house that feed deer out of livestock feed pans. One of them has a goat pen and when I drive by there will be a deer inside the pen eating out of a livestock feed pan. Probably corn. And when you consider what modern day corn products like high fructose corn syrup does to humans that get addicted to it…. I think that along with habitat degradation there’s a possibility that some bucks eat too much crap. All the big time midwestern deer hunters I watch on YouTube feed their deer stuff that’s been developed just for deer. Just saying 

without me, my rifle is nothing

9 hours ago, TDietz said:

How about spikes?  I’ve been hunting this state along time boys and years ago I hardly ever saw a spike. Now it’s gotta be about 25 percent of the bucks I see are spikes. You know they gotta be breeding. I think it’s every thing mentioned on here and high grading. 

And there’s a lot of people feeding deer all the time. I have two different people close to my house that feed deer out of livestock feed pans. One of them has a goat pen and when I drive by there will be a deer inside the pen eating out of a livestock feed pan. Probably corn. And when you consider what modern day corn products like high fructose corn syrup does to humans that get addicted to it…. I think that along with habitat degradation there’s a possibility that some bucks eat too much crap. All the big time midwestern deer hunters I watch on YouTube feed their deer stuff that’s been developed just for deer. Just saying 

What's wrong with a spike breeding? It's not like because it's only a spike at that moment, all the male offspring are doomed to be spikes. 🤣

2 hours ago, Michael Britt said:

What's wrong with a spike breeding? It's not like because it's only a spike at that moment, all the male offspring are doomed to be spikes. 🤣

not sure if you are joking or serious, but there is definitly some genetics involved and if I had achoice as to which bucks do the breeding I wouldn't want spikes doing any of it

without me, my rifle is nothing

19 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Plenty of mature bucks. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they are not there!!!!!!!!!! Ask LittleM.

How many times have you heard of guys killing a monster that no one has on camera?????!!! More common than not. 

You can't come to any conclusions based on about a dozen guys on a hunting forum. There are lots of guys out there that do not participate in such forums. When I go to the butcher and see the bucks hanging in the cooler, I realize what we do and post here is insignificant.