IGNORED

Early season

smittty

24 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I'm in the woods all the time, all year, not just during the season,  Only thing I hate about early season is EAB.  No reason for it with the numbers so low on public.  Enough brown and down guys out there.  Had to pass on some really nice bucks and eat tags because of it.

Just remember if you eliminate EAB the season will start in October. 
taking a doe in September is no issue for me. I take 4 deer for my own consumption anyway and by September my freezer is empty 

Edited by Lunatic

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

Just remember if you eliminate EAB the season will start in October. 

Why does that have to be?  Why does it matter if a doe is shot before a buck in Sept but not in Oct?  Too few does on public land to keep the buck numbers up as it is.  Without doe there will be no bucks either.  The whole system needs to be restructured to bring back deer on public lands.  The undergrowth has grown up so much I can't get through into places I used to hunt.  1 doe with bow and 1 doe gun with the license, then a special permit to take 5 more does on private land.  2 weeks into the season and I've seen 1 doe hunting nearly every day on public.

20 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Why does that have to be?  Why does it matter if a doe is shot before a buck in Sept but not in Oct?  Too few does on public land to keep the buck numbers up as it is.  Without doe there will be no bucks either.  The whole system needs to be restructured to bring back deer on public lands.  The undergrowth has grown up so much I can't get through into places I used to hunt.  1 doe with bow and 1 doe gun with the license, then a special permit to take 5 more does on private land.  2 weeks into the season and I've seen 1 doe hunting nearly every day on public.

They created September hunt for this reason. Take away EAB and you take away September. I’m not telling you it’s right or wrong only that this is the way it is 

Started skipping the early season several years ago and do not regret it at all.  My hunting season has been whittled down to about 6 weeks now; usually from the 3rd weekend in October, and then I hang it up by the last weekend in November.  I hate the heat, but I hate cold toes even more.  These days I couldn't care less if I shoot anything; these 6 weeks sitting in the blind or tree are about peace and quiet for me now.  I let deer pass almost every sit too.  The older I get, the more appreciative I have become just to be able to get out, and less concerned with the kill.  

3 hours ago, Lunatic said:

They created September hunt for this reason. Take away EAB and you take away September. I’m not telling you it’s right or wrong only that this is the way it is 

They can stop eab without cutting the season.  They did away with eab in zones during fall bow because it was wiping out the herd, they can do it here.