IGNORED

Feeders

Turkeyslayer

I have a Moultrie 30 gallon hanging pro feeder on one of my properties.  It’s made out of steel.  I ran a cable between trees and attached a winch to one of the trees.  The feeder is about 15 feet high and 10 feet from each tree.  Bears routinely come by but don’t bother with it. 

I used to have a Moultrie 30-gallon tripod plastic feeder on a property that I hunted years ago.  Worked great until a bear showed up and destroyed it. 

I built my own. I don't own property, so I need one that is portable (I have permission on some properties, so I want to be able to move it around).

Also, if in bear country, don't do this - it won't last the night :) I'm not in bear country, I just have to keep out squirrels and coons.

These are the main things I bought:

1. Galvanized bucket with lid - don't buy any kind of plastic 5-gallon bucket - squirrels will chew right through it. I bought this at Tractor Supply, but can't find it on their website, so here's a link from Lowes - note the bucket lid fits tight so the critters can't get in: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Behrens-6-Gallon-Galvanized-Steel-Trash-Can-with-Lid/3473839

2. Moultrie All-in-One Deer Feeder Timer Kit - I usually see this on sale at times for under $30 (but who knows nowadays) - https://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-Feeder-Timer-Metal-Adjustable/dp/B001EYIPLC

Just use the template that comes with the timer kit to cut the hole in the bottom of the bucket and bolt the timer kit on the bottom. Wa-la! Now you have a hanging feeder. Just need some rope to throw over a heavy limb and tie up to the bucket handle and hoist it up. I actually bought a pulley, a couple 2x4s, and a couple racket straps and made up a brace that I ratchet on the trunk of a tree and hoist up the feeder that way. Easy to raise up and lower down when you need to refill.

I haven't had any critters do any major damage. I did notice a few squirrel nibbles on the timer kit (acrobat squirrels, don't know how they hang on to get to the bottom of the bucket, but they do) so I just took a small amount of chicken wire and wrapped it around the timer kit. Haven't had any problems, and that timer kit has survived I think it has been 3 seasons so far. I take the feeder down after the season and put it up a few weeks before. (This year I don't know what I'm going to do - where I had this feeder I haven't had much luck seeing deer, I might not bother).

In total, I spent about $75 for my entire setup - bucket, timer kit, and parts for the brace (again, that was in pre-inflation days).

8 minutes ago, tpr1921 said:

This is the 2nd gravity feeder I have set-up on my property. Though I have no bear activity, I bought this all steel 300-pound capacity (with a bear proof lifetime warranty) to keep any squirrels from chewing it up. It was made by the Amish in Pennsylvania to resemble and work like a Banks Gravity feeder.

6-9-22.JPG.a3c72bc87a7b0525e5c7b545b622f2b5.JPG

Crazy how much feed they pull out onto the ground with the gravity feeders .

I tried mixing corn and golden nuggets together to get more protein out .

deer would pull all the corn out of the feeder , then eat the nuggets until gone .

then eat the corn .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Best one I used for many years was homemade out of a 22 gal rubber made commercial round waste basket . The can was 15 diameter maybe 3 foot high heavy duty plastic with rim around top . I cut about 2 inch in lower side of can . hole saw  Cut a round piece of ply wood a little bigger then the diameter so I could tilt it towards the hole . So corn would flow out . Cut a bigger round piece of plywood for cover . I drilled a few holes in top and rim . Used thermostat wire to secure . I also drilled 4 holes two on upper part of can and two on Bottum probable 8 inches apart . Used thermostat wire to secure to tree. Used flat rock to keep can about 4 inches off ground . I think  It would hold 100 pounds of corn . Usually the deer would keep it flowing as the pawed at the hole . Good part only one deer at a time . Takes an hour to make with jig saw and drill . Not bear proof .  Cant use anymore where I hunt no feeders . Amazon has can 68 bucks I think I paid 10 if that . Look at garage sales . 

I have acouple boss bucks and I love em, the deer hammer em, even the bucks…took a week for em to get used to then it was game on…keeps the feed off the ground in winter which is a plus…I back the quad right to em and load the corn which id like to think helps with my scent…use crossbow rail lube on the legs and the raccoons and squirrels will never get up…

On 7/23/2022 at 8:06 AM, tpr1921 said:

I use a Banks Gravity feeder. It sits on a single post, as such there are no obstacles to obstruct a deer's view while they feed from it.

891491233_9-29-19fivebucks.JPG.c63ae380aeaff2289e2b4b972457dccf.JPG962897141_7-3-217bucks.JPG.a04e3183173423f9cdaaffc6a3ddfffb.JPG1352801699_6-7-2022EIGHTBUCKS.JPG.bf85607635d06e74967fa196491593ea.JPG

How often do you need to refill that one