IGNORED

Feeders

Turkeyslayer

17 hours ago, DoubleLungDevil said:

I have acouple boss bucks and I love em, the deer hammer em, even the bucks…took a week for em to get used to then it was game on…keeps the feed off the ground in winter which is a plus…I back the quad right to em and load the corn which id like to think helps with my scent…use crossbow rail lube on the legs and the raccoons and squirrels will never get up…

Two seasons ago with lack of nuts in the woods I had dozens of squirrels jumping from trees quite a ways from it .once they got in top they chewed the hell out of it .

one squirrel got into the feeder tubes and ate the entire inside flow core from it .

if it had oil from the corn on it they ate it .

was glad the feeder section replacement was reasonable in price .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I'm curious do any of you put out a water source for deer on your property?

I started with just a timed feeder last year, and had been throwing around the idea of adding either a 40 or 110 gallon stock tank like the Tuff Stuff polyethylene ones from TSC. 

The recent heatwave had me thinking about it again.

Thoughts??

3 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Two seasons ago with lack of nuts in the woods I had dozens of squirrels jumping from trees quite a ways from it .once they got in top they chewed the hell out of it .

one squirrel got into the feeder tubes and ate the entire inside flow core from it .

if it had oil from the corn on it they ate it .

was glad the feeder section replacement was reasonable in price .

Luckily the squirrels stayed away throughout the season…first time I put them out raccoons emptied both in separate locations in a day I was furious lol..after I started rail lubing the legs weekly I had no problems thank god haha 👍🏻

3 hours ago, DJ0808 said:

I'm curious do any of you put out a water source for deer on your property?

I started with just a timed feeder last year, and had been throwing around the idea of adding either a 40 or 110 gallon stock tank like the Tuff Stuff polyethylene ones from TSC. 

The recent heatwave had me thinking about it again.

Thoughts??

003.JPG.6a430e5ae868e7d6a4766bb6600a41ce.JPG9-16-20.JPG.09590954cf5676ef76b2900caebaf39b.JPG9-21-20.JPG.65371192b3295a581d58a55f536d735a.JPG10-5-20.JPG.e7ba50e187061fdedb1cef8b1d332ee1.JPG156.JPG.a4cafbffc37f0db52dccab22ec262a16.JPG1988604584_6-22standinginwater.JPG.8444ce2066ef6ca0911c353d69240cdc.JPG372292160_6-24-222smallbucks.JPG.0c3d34437f44e166dba9e7ffafd7540b.JPG

• 3 months later...

I use Moultrie timed feeders exclusively, and I set for afternoon feed time only, never morning, and I get in at least two hours before the feeder is set to go off. 
In my experience, when you use gravity type feeders, you don’t have the ability to control the arrival time of deer to your feeder. 

Gravity feeders work of course, evidenced by TPRs “petting zoo” he has going at his site!😂

That’s great for general feeding and supplementing your local Deers food source, but, what happens is many of the deer, particularly doe groups, will shift their core area to very close to the feeder, and once you apply any type of hunting pressure they’ll start becoming educated, and they’ll be harder to kill, or will Wind you whenever you’re in your stand. 
Now, if you’re taking only a couple of deer a season from that feeder, likely won’t make a difference because the pressure will be limited. 

Don’t want to get too deep here, but feeder timing, amount of feed dispensed, and pressure, will dictate how effective you are while using a feeder. 

feel free to PM me if you’d like more insight into using a feeder effectively. 

Edited by Pathman

I have a big feeder on my son deer stand that works great . It’s all galvanized steel ,solar panel ,400lbs capacity and I added a raccoon cage to the bottom.

If you have a spin feeder you have to add the cage because it makes a huge difference! It stops raccoons,squirrels and deer from spinning the plate and taking corn when ever they want . It also comes with a gravity head if you want to give them as much food as they want.

7DD98773-3C22-4925-BD09-2E3DB2EDA4AC.jpeg

Edited by Bushnlo

On 11/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, Pathman said:

I use Moultrie timed feeders exclusively, and I set for afternoon feed time only, never morning, and I get in at least two hours before the feeder is set to go off. 
In my experience, when you use gravity type feeders, you don’t have the ability to control the arrival time of deer to your feeder. 

Gravity feeders work of course, evidenced by TPRs “petting zoo” he has going at his site!😂

That’s great for general feeding and supplementing your local Deers food source, but, what happens is many of the deer, particularly doe groups, will shift their core area to very close to the feeder, and once you apply any type of hunting pressure they’ll start becoming educated, and they’ll be harder to kill, or will Wind you whenever you’re in your stand. 
Now, if you’re taking only a couple of deer a season from that feeder, likely won’t make a difference because the pressure will be limited. 

Don’t want to get too deep here, but feeder timing, amount of feed dispensed, and pressure, will dictate how effective you are while using a feeder. 

feel free to PM me if you’d like more insight into using a feeder effectively. 

What he said!   :agree: