IGNORED

2022 Garden Thread

3 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I'm Italian so I lean toward a simple salad of tomatoes and basil. A touch of vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. A good Italian bread is a must to soak up the juices at the bottom of the bowl. 

The Caprese Salad looks real good though!

I'm with you. Simple, red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, thin sliced red onions, mozzarella, pan seared arugula and capers.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

9 hours ago, archer36 said:

I'm Italian so I lean toward a simple salad of tomatoes and basil. A touch of vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. A good Italian bread is a must to soak up the juices at the bottom of the bowl. 

The Caprese Salad looks real good though!

Just need to cut up the italian bread and put in the salad with hot cherry peppers and some of the juice from the cherry pepper jar. Oh and as bob said- red onion. I also add minced garlic

1 hour ago, deadonshot2 said:

Just need to cut up the italian bread and put in the salad with hot cherry peppers and some of the juice from the cherry pepper jar. Oh and as bob said- red onion. I also add minced garlic

I grew up in Newark. The bakery there made "pane cotto" which is whole wheat bread cut up into pieces and dried in the oven. We did exactly what you describe. Line the bottom of a plate and pour the tomato mixture over it. The juices would soak into the bread and soften it. Delicious. :up:

Edited by archer36

Harvesting slowly but surely.  Tomatoes are finally ready, have bush, hybrid and beefsteak (I get the award for smallest beefsteaks).  Small but tasty.  Harvested all the corn today too, again small but tasty.  Pulled the last of the cucumbers and surviving zucchini.  Cleared those beds out today and put in the late summer and fall crop; romaine lettuce, rainbow carrots, bok choy and some late season broccoli.  August already, can’t wait for fall.  

7E20551B-C553-41C9-BF4A-2A9C89E8C61D.jpeg

B8A0DEDC-054C-4E7B-BF2D-59A41C351C11.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I left this tomato on the vine this AM thinking I was going to pick it this afternoon.  Well, someone else had a similar timeline.

The opening salvo has been fired in the Haskell v. Rodents War 2022.

IMG_1470.jpeg.05feec85817f39317a22946afd2a898b.jpeg

Thanks, really appreciate it. Can you make sure you leave additional tomatoes - oh, and some cukes and carrots, too - for me in the coming days? I have some family coming up from Tennessee for a visit - imma gonna need some groceries. Hugs and Kisses, Gary.

chunk-the-groundhog-chunk.gif

Peppers are slowing down, eggplant still producing well for only a couple plants, and my cucumbers, zucchini and yellow squash are about done. My second planting is coming along though.

I pulled all of my tomatoes yesterday. I need to make room for something else but they seem to be rotting before they ripen anyway. Any of you good gardeners know why they do that? Seems to happen to most of them the last several years.  I threw out probably 3 for every one I kept. All heirlooms, except the Roma's and cherry's. 

20220801_122601.jpg.aab1d9f46b054028ced98a6574f17134.jpg

20220801_122404_01.jpg.ef477ac69319ba0dc62413213b1acfe0.jpg

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

15 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Thanks, really appreciate it. Can you make sure you leave additional tomatoes - oh, and some cukes and carrots, too - for me in the coming days? I have some family coming up from Tennessee for a visit - imma gonna need some groceries. Hugs and Kisses, Gary.

chunk-the-groundhog-chunk.gif

I eliminated that problem a while ago before it can do damage. Woodchucks can do a lot of damage. One ate all of my Son's melons. I caught this guy wandering before the tomatoes ripened so I precluded that problem too. Once the tomatoes started to ripen, I spread chunks of Irish Spring Soap around the plants. Have not lost ONE tomato yet!

IMG_20220724_095657.jpg

Edited by archer36

38 minutes ago, DV1 said:

Peppers are slowing down, eggplant still producing well for only a couple plants, and my cucumbers, zucchini and yellow squash are about done. My second planting is coming along though.

I pulled all of my tomatoes yesterday. I need to make room for something else but they seem to be rotting before they ripen anyway. Any of you good gardeners know why they do that? Seems to happen to most of them the last several years.  I threw out probably 3 for every one I kept. All heirlooms, except the Roma's and cherry's. 

20220801_122601.jpg.aab1d9f46b054028ced98a6574f17134.jpg

20220801_122404_01.jpg.ef477ac69319ba0dc62413213b1acfe0.jpg

They are rotting due to a fungus.  I have to use fungicide weekly because I live in a valley at a pinch point.  I hit 90%+ humidity every night.

I am using two fungicide products, both organic, on alternate weeks.  I ran out of the copper-based one, and that's a really good one at controlling fungus.

Antifungal products:

https://www.gurneys.com/product/soap-shield-fungicidal-soap
https://www.gurneys.com/product/garden-sentinel-biofungicide

But you have an excellent crop there!  Take some of those green maters and fry them!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.