IGNORED

2022 Garden Thread

5 hours ago, archer36 said:

I'm going to dehydrate a bunch of Cherry Tomatoes. I have no plum tomatoes. I will be giving some away soon. 

IMG_20220818_094858.jpg

IMG_20220818_094836.jpg

I would be very interested in knowing how you dehydrate cherry tomatoes.  I always seem to get too many, and having a way to preserve them would be keen.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:00 PM, Greybeard said:

Nothing on the pumpkin vines this year either

Same here, disappointing for sure.  Planted Jack-o-lanterns for my daughter but it doesn’t look like we’ll get any.  Tons of vines, boatloads of flowers, then they literally die in the vine.  My garden is absolutely torched at this point.  Drains a little too well being all raised beds.  I’ll have to amend the soil next year and maybe add vermiculite to help retain moisture.  

40 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I would be very interested in knowing how you dehydrate cherry tomatoes.  I always seem to get too many, and having a way to preserve them would be keen.

You need a silicone drying sheet so they don't stick. Cut in half, cut side up. If your machine has temp gauge, go 140 degrees till done. 

Edited by archer36

6 hours ago, archer36 said:

I'm going to dehydrate a bunch of Cherry Tomatoes. I have no plum tomatoes. I will be giving some away soon. 

IMG_20220818_094858.jpg

IMG_20220818_094836.jpg

Are those ugly tomatoes seriously isn't that a rutgers hybrid

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

7 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I am traveling to NH this weekend to visit my parents and bring them some tomatoes, beets, and cantaloupe.

IMG_1550.jpeg.d9543b722a1b51316f93db45d55bb8a9.jpeg

Make sure you hide them, if Murphy see em he will charge you an out-of-state excise tax

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Really happy and excited for you Tim for you to go see your parents and get back to the live Free or die state!

I lived in Vermont from 71 to 73 Wilmington 20 mi between Bennington Brattleboro.

What it was a whole different world back then I could walk into the hardware store/ drug store and buy a shotgun/rifle off the shelf.

I know you're where you could see the Canadian border, I would go into New Hampshire on the South  where they made the rokon, maybe I didn't spell it right but that sucker could climb up a cliff.

Take in a picture show, yeah I needed a stinking ticket.lol 

Greed and developers didn't get there yet.

https://www.showtimes.com/movie-theaters/keene-cinemas-7388/

1 hour ago, hunterbob1 said:

Are those ugly tomatoes seriously isn't that a rutgers hybrid

They are Heirlooms. Known to have a lot of deformity. They are ancient strain. Not hybrids developed in laboratories. It's the way tomatoes looked before being altered in laboratories. 

Edited by archer36

I pulled all my zucs, cucs, peas, lettuce and canatalope. Putting in buttercup squash, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Butternut squash, spaghetti squash, turnips, onions, kohlrabi and carrots are just about done and I've been pulling them in and processing. Tomatos, peppers, green beans, wax beans, okra, basil and white eggplant are still producing heavy.

20220819_193021.jpg

20220819_193031.jpg

20220819_193039.jpg

20220819_193100.jpg

20220819_193115.jpg

2 hours ago, Woodsman416 said:

I pulled all my zucs, cucs, peas, lettuce and canatalope. Putting in buttercup squash, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Butternut squash, spaghetti squash, turnips, onions, kohlrabi and carrots are just about done and I've been pulling them in and processing. Tomatos, peppers, green beans, wax beans, okra, basil and white eggplant are still producing heavy.

20220819_193021.jpg

20220819_193031.jpg

20220819_193039.jpg

20220819_193100.jpg

20220819_193115.jpg

I still have about 10-15 cantaloupes left.  My parents demanded that I bring them some this weekend.  Had I not, I bet they would have told me to turn around and get some.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.