IGNORED

2022 Garden Thread

I started some peas, green beans, carrots, lettuce and onions so far. It's time to transplant some into bigger pots. I plan to harvest my first peas, green beans and lettuce out of the green house. I've also been adding wood ash to my garden beds all winter in addition to having a pretty good kitchen waste compost bin going.

20220213_125106.jpg

Starting our indoor stuff this weekend. 

1 hour ago, hunterbob1 said:

Looking good what about spinach, do you have an asparagus bed.

https://americanfarmpublications.com/spinach-still-one-of-top-greens-in-new-jersey/

We planted asparagus a few years ago. They take few years to spread out and mature but I'm hoping we get a really good crop this year.

15 hours ago, newjerseyhunter said:

Starting our indoor stuff this weekend. 

We planted asparagus a few years ago. They take few years to spread out and mature but I'm hoping we get a really good crop this year.

Yes it took me 3 years.

Then it was a bumper crop.

Cut An inch below the soil with a paring knife.

Harvest almost everyday.

Par boil vacuum seal and freeze.

I had 14 plants.

Good for me my wife for a year.

These were our favorites .

https://www.gurneys.com/product/purple

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Going to sow the lettuce in the green house by the end of the week......still have some growing in the ground in the green house from the fall....didnt grow much through the winter but it should take off in the next two weeks after today.........also have flowers in bloom in the garden the Snowbells or Galanthus is in bloom.........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

1 minute ago, MRMCR said:

Going to sow the lettuce in the green house by the end of the week......still have some growing in the ground in the green house from the fall....didnt grow much through the winter but it should take off in the next two weeks after today.........also have flowers in bloom in the garden the Snowbells or Galanthus is in bloom.........

Hi Mike it's me Bob the stalker, got pics?lol

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 minute ago, hunterbob1 said:

Hi Mike it's me Bob the stalker, got pics?lol

Ive never tried to post pics on the net......but send me your phone number and Ill text some to you ........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Looking good gardeners!

Never had luck starting plants indoors.  Don't have the place to do it without getting grow lights.    Tried to grow asparagus for 5 years but wasn't getting much from the plants.  Probably should have planted them where I wouldn't of wanted them to grow 

3 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Looking good gardeners!

Never had luck starting plants indoors.  Don't have the place to do it without getting grow lights.    Tried to grow asparagus for 5 years but wasn't getting much from the plants.  Probably should have planted them where I wouldn't of wanted them to grow 

You don't need grow lights!This is what I did. The little containers, potting soil, plant seed deep,water, place in sandwich or Ziploc bags, place near heat, I had furnace hot air floor registers, thermostat at 7o degree more than efficient to heat that soil 80 sweat them bags creats it's own moisture too.

Last year I built a 4 tier rack on wheels with heat mats and LED grow lights that I can raise and lower to keep my seedlings growing, without stretching. Will seed peppers and eggplant tomorrow. After 30 years, I really miss my greenhouses in Spring. The next 6 weeks were like a vacation to work. Starting mid February, with the higher light, you could almost watch things grow daily.

9 hours ago, MRMCR said:

Ive never tried to post pics on the net......but send me your phone number and Ill text some to you ........

You're a man of your word thanks for the pics Mike:up: