IGNORED

The Rabbit Hunter !

I grew up hunting rabbits. We had a beagle and my dads friends each had one. After deer season ended first week in December it was rabbits every weekend upstate NY. We had few different farms we had permission to rabbit hunt. Before we had beagles I was the brush stomper. I’d come home all torn up from thorns and brush. 
No longer have beagles or access to farms to rabbit hunt but would love to go again one day. 

41 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

I grew up hunting rabbits. We had a beagle and my dads friends each had one. Before we had beagles I was the brush stomper. I’d come home all torn up from thorns and brush.

Did they give you a bell to wear? Lol

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Had a neighbor as a kid with a half chow, half beagle. Best small game dog you could ask for. Ran rabbits and sounded like a beagle, but if you went into the big woods, he would find squirrels and circle the tree so they would come around to your side. Very smart dog and fun to watch hunt. There were tons more rabbits back then, and don't get me started on the pheasants everywhere !

4 hours ago, archer36 said:

Haven't seen a rabbit in the woods in over 20 years. I see them in my backyard. We had one that hung out by the parking area of our club and considered it our Mascot. WTF happened to rabbits?

Hawks, foxes, coyotes, wild cats have done damage on rabbit population, also houses everywhere and farming practices have changed less ditches with briars, and no more peach or apples orchards with grass, or piles of branches trimmed from trees, where I live it’s all blueberries, no more ditches for water now mostly drip irrigation

My father had his own blood lines of beagles , as did his best friend .

growing up I ran the dogs from September till February every year .

‘first month was to toughen up their feet at the CJBC .

normally ran three or four hounds at a time . Competition made them really work hard .

we averaged over a 100 rabbits a season in front of the dogs hunting farms all over Bradford county , and a few farms here in Nj.

was always a lot of fun , and man we we cover a lot of miles hunting daily ..…

Hunts were always filled with tons of anticipation.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

My father had his own blood lines of beagles , as did his best friend .

growing up I ran the dogs from September till February every year .

‘first month was to toughen up their feet at the CJBC .

normally ran three or four hounds at a time . Competition made them really work hard .

we averaged over a 100 rabbits a season in front of the dogs hunting farms all over Bradford county , and a few farms here in Nj.

was always a lot of fun , and man we we cover a lot of miles hunting daily ..…

Hunts were always filled with tons of anticipation.

What bloodlines?  I'm always curious to see if I have them