IGNORED

Glassing

During firearm season, if you need binos, then the deer is too far. If you have to scrutinize it for "trophy" status, you can use your scope. If your using buckshot then it is going to be fairly close before you can shoot anyway. What's the use of looking at it. If it's going to come your way, you don't need them. I only carry binos during the bow season. It's better to look at deer in cover and look at your deer after you arrow it should it be walking off slowly or bed down nearby. I don't carry one in my Firearm Season backpack. Just extra weight. 

Edited by archer36

21 minutes ago, archer36 said:

During firearm season, if you need binos, then the deer is too far. If you have to scrutinize it for "trophy" status, you can use your scope. If your using buckshot then it is going to be fairly close before you can shoot anyway. What's the use of looking at it. If it's going to come your way, you don't need them. I only carry binos during the bow season. It's better to look at deer in cover and look at your deer after you arrow it should it be walking off slowly or bed down nearby. I don't carry one in my Firearm Season backpack. Just extra weight. 

I don’t hunt without binoculars. Yes the deer may be to far to shoot but it’s good to know what is coming. I use binoculars every time I am on stand. A good pair are worth the extra weight. I feel they are one of the most important tools.

19 minutes ago, Whitetail31 said:

I don’t hunt without binoculars. Yes the deer may be to far to shoot but it’s good to know what is coming. I use binoculars every time I am on stand. A good pair are worth the extra weight. I feel they are one of the most important tools.

There is no right or wrong answer. It's a preference. It also depends on the type of hunting you are doing. If you are doing a "spot and stalk" hunt out West then Binos are indispensable. Sitting in a treestand in NJ, not so much. If you see a nice deer walking 300 yds away are you going to get out of your stand or blind to pursue it? It's an opinion. Not right or wrong. 

Edited by archer36

2 minutes ago, Boykin Runner said:

I never use unless in the big woods with a view like  north Jerz .  Not worth the risk of being seen moving around in tree stand , I hunt in some thick stuff , I cant see more than 35 yards in my spots ! I like to hunt in or near bedding areas .

Deer in heavy cover will definitely see your movement before you see them. 

3 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Deer in heavy cover will definitely see your movement before you see them. 

That’s because you didn’t glass them coming in sooner .

‘binoculars when used correctly allow you to be ready way sooner when a shot opportunity arises , or has you not moving as late getting ready .

I even use my binoculars when hunting with my stick bow where I can’t shoot 15 yards .

allows me to take those close shots without rushing and judging the animal in 2 steps 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

10 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

That’s because you didn’t glass them coming in sooner .

‘binoculars when used correctly allow you to be ready way sooner when a shot opportunity arises , or has you not moving as late getting ready .

I even use my binoculars when hunting with my stick bow where I can’t shoot 15 yards .

allows me to take those close shots without rushing and judging the animal in 2 steps 

It's "heavy cover" how do you see them? I have a spot that in early season you can't see more than 30-40 yds. Right now I can barely see deer until they are about 30 yds away in some spots. Yet, deer are always looking up the ridge toward the Orchard for signs of people. If you are constantly moving your arms up and down, they will pick you out before you see them. It may not be the same in all situations but in some the extra movement will give you away. 

Edited by archer36

7 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

It seems that most people just stare at a corn pile and wait for a deer to show up directly in their sight?  I could never imagine not having my binos while hunting.  To me it’s an absolute invaluable tool.

I wait for movement. but i want to se e what buck it is or if something new, if new check and see if it's a shooter and old enough.