IGNORED

Glassing

1 minute ago, archer36 said:

It's "heavy cover" how do you see them? I have a spot that in early season you can't see more than 30-40 yds. Right now I can barely see deer until they are about 30 yds away in some spots. Yet, deer are always looking up the ridge toward the Orchard for signs of people. If you are constantly moving your arms up and down, they will pick you out before you see them. It may not be the same in all situations but in some the extra movement will give you away. 

You can see way better with binoculars in heavy cover than you can with your eyes . Especially in low light . 
I don’t ever get caught glassing 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

You can see way better with binoculars in heavy cover than you can with your eyes . Especially in low light . 
I don’t ever get caught glassing 

You don't know what you didn't see. LOL

Like when I say, "I hardly ever get winded". People say I scared deer away long before I saw them. LOL

I'm not saying that glassing is wrong, it just may be not needed or counterproductive in some situations. 

Edited by archer36

I learned a few years ago to never hunt without binoculars.

Sometimes I wait for movement. Other times I scan.

Both of these types of usage have produced deer. 

I have caught bucks laying down by scanning.

I have caught movement, then scanned either side and found deer that I didn't know where there.

Staring at one spot or one field is not good for me. I have done better doing the above.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

13 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Try using them instead of carrying that extra sand which . 
you will see that you will get spotted less not more 

Hardly ever carry food out. Eating creates a lot of unnecessary movement too. I did say I use them Bow season. I half agree with you. :up:

Edited by archer36

I always have them with me but do not glass continuously in all cover.  Depends on the situation how often I use them.  Keep in mind that even 25' up, deer can possibly see you move if they are 40, 60, 80 yds away.  If they are close, it's less likely they spot you moving.  I always wear camo gloves & face covering no matter how high I am.

I always have my binocs (12X from my elk hunting days) and take a 2nd look at anything fishy, birds, deer, odd shape that maybe wasn't there a minute ago, whatever, keeps boredom at bay.  If I see a shape moving thru the thickets, I want to know if it's a buck or doe and how big it is, just because I'm curious.  I'm strictly a meat hunter, so I shoot whatever comes in range.  Also comes in handy if you've already taken 2 bucks and want to know if that deer that looks like a doe, is actually a doe or a spike.

5 hours ago, electric10162 said:

When on stand do you glass continuously or do you wait for movement then grab the binos?

Usually when my eye catches something.  no reason to make unecessary movements, I save that for my cell phone.  :)   Note  - when you have deer within 30-50 yards, resist the urge to glass... Just stay frozen.    Pro tip. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I always carry binos. I do not scan continuously but they have without a doubt been the deciding factor in many bucks that I have been lucky enough to take. Especially in pressured areas where you may have a quick chance at something….. a flash of white etc. something catches your eye and you better have binos to check it out and get ready for a shot or it could be gone in an instant. I could write half a book on how many hunts I’ve had where I just caught a glimpse of a flash of something and verified it with my binos and the hunt changed in my favor. 

I have my binos with me at all times. Depends on my mood how much I glass but Im usually hunting 1 or 2 particular  bucks  that I get on camera and usually the 1st time I see them with my own eyes I'm in the tree waiting for them. I like to look them over real good. Sometimes they are better than their pic and sometimes not. I don't want to make any mistakes either shooting a busted up or the wrong buck either. 

Plus, you never know what you might see. Mother nature surprises sometimes

www.liftxrentals.com

I’ve never used Bono’s hunting either NJ or PA in my life.  That being said both states I hunt right quarters and really don’t need them.  Once I can even see deer they are 40 or less yds ussually.  If I was in big open woods or on field it might be a different story.  Especially to see where they are moving far out from your current stand might give you info to move your stand even like 200 yds or so.