IGNORED

Glassing

On 12/7/2021 at 1:01 PM, archer36 said:

During firearm season, if you need binos, then the deer is too far. If you have to scrutinize it for "trophy" status, you can use your scope. If your using buckshot then it is going to be fairly close before you can shoot anyway. What's the use of looking at it. If it's going to come your way, you don't need them. I only carry binos during the bow season. It's better to look at deer in cover and look at your deer after you arrow it should it be walking off slowly or bed down nearby. I don't carry one in my Firearm Season backpack. Just extra weight. 

A scope should not be used to glass..   you do not point a firearm at somthing you do not intend to destroy

10 hours ago, vdep217 said:

A scope should not be used to glass..   you do not point a firearm at somthing you do not intend to destroy

I didn't say to use it INSTEAD of binos. I said in the rare instance you think there may be a trophy buck (if you are trophy hunting), and you are thinking about shooting the deer then you are looking at it through the scope anyway. We are talking about NJ hunting right? It's ridiculous to think a person should be picking up his gun/scope continuously to look at deer. It is all unnecessary and game spooking movement. Common sense. If you can't control your gun when looking through the scope then you shouldn't be hunting. 

I also suggested that a scope is not a substitute on a spot and stalk hunt out west and that binos are indispensable for that kind of hunting. 

Once again, people think there is a RIGHT and wrong on this subject. Using binos in NJ is just a preference. No right or wrong. If it makes you hunting experience better, then do it. Some people do not. 

Edited by archer36

31 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I didn't say to use it INSTEAD of binos. I said in the rare instance you think there may be a trophy buck (if you are trophy hunting), and you are thinking about shooting the deer then you are looking at it through the scope anyway. We are talking about NJ hunting right? It's ridiculous to think a person should be picking up his gun/scope continuously to look at deer. It is all unnecessary and game spooking movement. Common sense. If you can't control your gun when looking through the scope then you shouldn't be hunting. 

I also suggested that a scope is not a substitute on a spot and stalk hunt out west and that binos are indispensable for that kind of hunting. 

Once again, people think there is a RIGHT and wrong on this subject. Using binos in NJ is just a preference. No right or wrong. If it makes you hunting experience better, then do it. Some people do not. 

Truth be told I'm lost without my binoculars. For some, it's just another thing to carry. Sometimes I will use the chest strap if I'm in a stand that doesn't have a close hanger to limit movement.  My original intent of the post was to see if guys/gals used their binos to constantly scan the area. Personally, I wait until I see some movement or something out of place before I scan with them. Using the scope is a lot more movement IMO. No right or wrong.

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

Go back and look at the guys who won’t hunt with out them .

‘All those guys success rate on better deer give you a little different perspective .

To say that using binos is the major factor in being successful in NJ is a stretch. I can think of many things that would come before that. You hunt NJ, it's a nice to have but not in NO way necessary to be "successful", whatever you consider that to be. Maybe to you it's only "trophy" hunting. 

I used binos in all my out of country hunts even though it was not personally necessary since they were guided hunts. I used them to enjoy the scenery and animals that couldn't be seen up close. Binos are ESSENTIAL on certain hunts. Not necessary in NJ. My opinion. Again. No one is correct on this.