IGNORED

Need opinions on a new deer rifle

Bone collector 85

Another thing to consider - Ohio allows some good heavy hitting Straight wall cartridges.  Shorter range maybe 150 yards max; but still great deer cartridges perfectly suited for most Whitetail hunting in woods. PA and Maine and VT and NY State would allow same. If you plan on 200 yard shots obviously wrong Gun for you.   Take the .450 Bushmaster cartridge for example. Look at these cool options.  https://www.wideopenspaces.com/8-of-the-best-rifles-chambered-for-450-bushmaster-on-the-market-today/

I like idea of a single shot. Sort of like bow hunting. That CVA in stainless Is sweet. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Mike,  If you can find one go with a Rem 700 synthetic stock in 3006. You wont be sorry. It is my go to gun and only once have I pulled the trigger on an animal that I did not get and that was because I did not drop powder in the reload I was using.  I have  shot this gun on the range with some of the best shooters and it performs well. The only modification I made was a light trigger.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

26 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Another thing to consider - Ohio allows some good heavy hitting Straight wall cartridges.  Shorter range maybe 150 yards max; but still great deer cartridges perfectly suited for most Whitetail hunting in woods. PA and Maine and VT and NY State would allow same. If you plan on 200 yard shots obviously wrong Gun for you.   Take the .450 Bushmaster cartridge for example. Look at these cool options.  https://www.wideopenspaces.com/8-of-the-best-rifles-chambered-for-450-bushmaster-on-the-market-today/

I like idea of a single shot. Sort of like bow hunting. That CVA in stainless Is sweet. 

Dear God why would you need a .450 for a deer?

Stick to bow hunting, Jack.

The only exception I'll take was my buddy's dad (RIP) who hunted deer with us in NH using a .45 ACP carbine.  I am looking for one for nostalgia purposes, but I'll give that one a pass for hunting deer.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

29 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Dear God why would you need a .450 for a deer?

Stick to bow hunting, Jack.

The only exception I'll take was my buddy's dad (RIP) who hunted deer with us in NH using a .45 ACP carbine.  I am looking for one for nostalgia purposes, but I'll give that one a pass for hunting deer.

Brush gun as they say. Damn good bear cartridge as well. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

I bought a Ruger American in 7mm-08 from Cheyenne last summer for my pa elk hunt.  Dropped a cow with at 180 yards.  Got a Leupold 2-7x on it. Haven't shot it past 200 yards but it was under $500. I'd recommend it.  Mine ain't for sale but if you don't buy one you can borrow it.  Lol. 

I did buy it for if/when I ever rifle hunt for deer in pa, ky, Texas.  Great deer caliber.  

24 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

For bear, yes, I would agree.  For deer, you may as well throw a Volkswagen at them.

Sort of like the “rage broadhead of deer cartridges”, or why snipe the  Taliban with a .223 when you can use a Barrett .50?

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, Bone collector 85 said:

Im hunting hard woods and been using 3030 & 35rem but wanted something a lil different is all....

Since you have two excellent shorter range options already that are likely lever actions, I would suggest a harder hitting round in a bolt action if you are looking for something different. There are so many cartridges to choose from it’s ridiculous.  If you may one day chase elk, for example, then a 7 mm mag or a .300 Win. mag would be good options. And they can be loaded down to kill any whitetail walking. 

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

Sort of like the “rage broadhead of deer cartridges”, or why snipe the  Taliban with a .223 when you can use a Barrett .50?

I actually own Rages now.  I feel so dirty....

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.