IGNORED

Interesting read if you have kids new rules from comrade Murphy and the dems of nj regarding drug and alchahol and those under 21

buckhound

This is from FB i dont have it but the wife sent me a link

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1734007990100977&id=415178715317251

To the residents of Point Pleasant Beach,

On Monday night, Governor Phillip Murphy signed three laws which decriminalized marijuana and set out orders to have previous convictions and/or pending cases dismissed. This was expected as a majority of New Jersey residents voted to have marijuana legalized in the state.  What was not expected was for parents to be denied access to information regarding their child’s marijuana or alcohol use.

Unlike the state of New Jersey, we believe parents deserve and need to know when their children are in dangerous situations, so we are outlining the changes to the laws.  When officers now encounter juveniles, who are in possession of marijuana and/or alcohol, the following restrictions apply:

• The odor of marijuana or alcohol no longer constitutes reasonable articulable suspicion to initiate a stop of an individual under the age of 21, nor does it provide probable cause to search the person’s personal property or vehicle.

• The unconcealed possession of an alcoholic beverage or marijuana that is observed in plain sight shall not constitute probable cause to initiate a search of an individual under the age of 21 or that individual’s personal property or vehicle to determine a violation of any law.

• An individual under the age of 21 who possesses marijuana or alcoholic beverages shall not be arrested, detained, or otherwise taken into custody except to the extent required to issue a written warning. 

• For an individual under the age of 21 who possesses marijuana or alcoholic beverages as a first offense, this new law forbids officers to contact a parent or guardian.

Reviewing the new policy, what presents itself as most problematic is the inability to freely communicate with parents.  This police department has always sought the implementation of non-punitive measures for the majority of juvenile offenses including underage alcohol or marijuana possession or consumption. Formal charges have always been a last resort.  The department and, more specifically, our exceptional SRO have worked with the school administration to keep our students safe, open lines of communication with parents, and provide programs that empower healthy decision making.

We see these laws as not only counterproductive but also as a detriment to the safety of our children. To apply this to a real-life situation, if an officer sees a 12-year-old (or a juvenile of any age) consuming alcohol or smoking marijuana, we CANNOT contact the juvenile’s parent/guardian unless this behavior has been previously documented.  Unless the child chooses to share this information, parents will be left in the dark.  This policy goes against every step we have taken as a department, a school district, and a community to work collaboratively to protect our children.  We are shocked and appalled as a police department but also as parents.  Who will ensure the welfare our kids, if the police can neither act nor contact a parent or legal guardian? 

One of our department’s greatest strengths has been our ability to foster positive relationships and build trust within the community. From placing officers in every school to create positive, daily interactions to the implementation of an annual youth police camp, our department has dedicated a great deal of time and energy to maintaining a healthy and safe community.  Despite the threat this legislation poses, we will continue to work with the community and its youth.

Together, we will find a way to navigate these trying times. Please know our priorities have not changed even though our means of achieving them might.  Do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions or concerns.

Chief Joseph A. Michigan

Edited by buckhound

• buckhound changed the title to Interesting read if you have kids new rules from comrade Murphy and the dems of nj regarding drug and alchahol and those under 21

Seems stupid but I don't depend on teachers or law enforcement to raise my kids either.  I raise them, and I certainly don't raise them to be weak minded morally deficient dopers and addicts so I'm not particularly worried.

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

1 minute ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Seems stupid but I don't depend on teachers or law enforcement to raise my kids either.  I raise them, and I certainly don't raise them to be weak minded morally deficient dopers and addicts so I'm not particularly worried.

Keep your blinders on . What happens when one of these as you put it “ weak minded morally deficient dopers and addicts “  runs over one of your kids because the cops aren’t allowed to take away his beer or weed . This is absolutely insane this clown would sign this into law . 

2 minutes ago, Bones said:

Until it’s someone else’s kid getting wasted putting your kids in harm way 

as a parent I’m not concerned about my children doing the right thing but as an officer I am worried about other kids doing the right thing.

I guess?  But what is guarding against that now?  The world is full of negligent/permissive parents who let their kids do whatever the hell they want and/or have no idea what they're doing now.  My wife is a teacher and sees it daily.  No amount of legislation will change that.  We teach our children not to be dirtbags and not to associate with dirtbags.

1 minute ago, Russ 11 said:

Keep your blinders on . What happens when one of these as you put it “ weak minded morally deficient dopers and addicts “  runs over one of your kids because the cops aren’t allowed to take away his beer or weed.

What is stopping that from happening now?  All I'm saying is let's not be nanny-staters and claim the sky is falling here.  Take responsibility for raising your own kid.  I could pull out of my lane and get nailed by a drunk flying down Charlestown Road right now-that's nobody's fault but the drunk.  It's not the cops it's not the state, etc...what's next?  Guns kill people?  

Before the police were able to detain and arrest underage people with Marijuana or alcohol so at least there was a deterant.  Now the odor or plain sight rule does not apply to alcohol or pot.  Abd on top of it the police can no longer notify parents of the possession.  So think about it even a good kid of good parents is out and has a beer at a party and police show up if its your child by the law now you won't even know to have a conversation with your child.

My dads rule was dont lie if I had a beer was to call him no matter what time of night it might be.

Before the law changed police could charge a juvenile under a juvenile petition and they would have to go to court an answer before a judge 

police could search a juvenile if pc was there, now the odor of alcohol or marijuana is not pc anymore and furthermore a police officer could be charged with a 3rd degree charge if he or she did.

3 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

So think about it even a good kid of good parents.

There's your problem-at some point in this country we began to believe that dopers and addicts are "good people." Dopers and addicts are weak minded and morally defective and make conscious choices to do what they do and they want their chosen lifestyle.  They are not good people and "good kids" from "good families" don't become dopers and addicts.  It always confounds me when this topic comes up here and there are a thousand violins playing for the addicts.

9 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

There's your problem-at some point in this country we began to believe that dopers and addicts are "good people." Dopers and addicts are weak minded and morally defective and make conscious choices to do what they do and they want their chosen lifestyle.  They are not good people and "good kids" from "good families" don't become dopers and addicts.  It always confounds me when this topic comes up here and there are a thousand violins playing for the addicts.

You are taking it to the extreme.  Having a couple beers on the weekend or a day off from work dosnt make you an addict..  and from hi school I remember a few kids who's parents were so strict that they weren't allowed to do any thing.  One kid got grounded for 2 years for having a beer you know were he is now he died from an over dose. Soon after turning 18 and moving out.. No matter what his parents tried didnt work..  

There is a happy medium but a kid who wants to try a beer is by no means a doper or addict.

How many people here had their first beer with dad a 15 or 16 years old and are great people.  Kids are curious and will experiment its a parents job to teach their kids from their mistakes.  This law takes away that parent knowing when somthing like drinking comes up

Edited by vdep217