IGNORED

2020 Garden thread

The storm knocked down a couple cucumber cages and tomatoe cages. Only got a handful of red tomatoes so far but they were worth it. Garlic was picked last month. 2000 bulbs. I should have watered them during the drought because they were a little small due to lack of water. Chickens keep eating all my zucchini and summer squash. Squirrels got away with half of my donut peaches before they were trapped. 5 gray and 2 reds in 2 days. 

On 8/12/2020 at 8:50 AM, Jerzguy2 said:

I thought you can't use treated lumber? Love the layout

I had no clue. Just did some quick research and it looks like EPA changed pressure treated wood standards in 2003. Still might decide to line the wood after the winter just to be safe.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/are-pressure-treated-woods-safe-in-garden-beds

On 8/13/2020 at 5:54 PM, rackemup said:

I'm going to cut up and "Can" these tomatoes for future sauce this weekend, I should end up with a few jars.👍

20200813_174713.thumb.jpg.7bd01fa7dacc9cc403bb4ffb99e1f7ed.jpg

Try roasting them to make sauce. The flavor concentrates. Cut them in to big pieces so you can take the skins out if you don't want them. Sprinkle some OO in pan. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning (a little sugar is good too).  Cook until the flesh separates from the skin. Give them a turn or two.  Best pasta sauce you will ever eat.  Fresh basil when you eat would really be great. 

Edited by archer36

14 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

any ideas??

Mystery vegee.....thought starter plants were cukes or cantaloupe....

Smells like cucumber inside. 

Hope its not from the China Mystery seed issue in the news!!

20200819_150435.jpg

20200819_150442.jpg

Looks to me like some type of winter squash.  For the last 5 years buying seeds is like picking out of a grab bag.  Even plants.  What was suppose to be red peppers turned out to be orange peppers.  

14 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Looks to me like some type of winter squash.  For the last 5 years buying seeds is like picking out of a grab bag.  Even plants.  What was suppose to be red peppers turned out to be orange peppers.  

May be a non hybrid cucumber........what they sometime call heirloom variety........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Just a little advice that now is the time to take a moment and plan ahead for your 2021 garden. Take a moment and sit down and gaze at the results of your labor and take some notes as to what went right or wrong, so next year is better. It's always good  to note what is accomplished while things are fresh in your mind or you are looking at it when growing. It's amazing how quickly one forgets little things like planting all those seeds a month or two early, just because we get a week of warm weather in February or March. How did those tomato's do that you seeded in February or had to plant in the garden the beginning of April?  I always jotted down notes on a crop grown once a year (like a garden), as dealing with any living thing, it's a lot different than running back to the store to buy items for a do over after you screw something up!