IGNORED

2020 Garden thread

I have about 10 tomato plants with a pretty decent yield. At this point, just waiting for them to turn and fully ripen. Four of my Roma plants each have one or two tomatoes that seem to have fully ripened with the bottoms rotted out. The rest of Roma yield are solid and green. Is this typical or the start of something worse to come?

B2F03869-09D5-4546-B376-BEDBEDCA4D72.jpeg

1 hour ago, A&N_Hunter said:

I have about 10 tomato plants with a pretty decent yield. At this point, just waiting for them to turn and fully ripen. Four of my Roma plants each have one or two tomatoes that seem to have fully ripened with the bottoms rotted out. The rest of Roma yield are solid and green. Is this typical or the start of something worse to come?

B2F03869-09D5-4546-B376-BEDBEDCA4D72.jpeg

Calcium.  Read this

https://www.canr.msu.edu/resources/blossom_end_rot_tip_sheet

I clip my plants when they reach the top of the cage @ 5' and remove the suckers as they grow so the tomatoes get more of the calcium and other nutrients.  By that time the plants have more tomatoes than I can eat, anyway.

Edited by Greybeard

19 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Calcium.  Read this

https://www.canr.msu.edu/resources/blossom_end_rot_tip_sheet

I clip my plants when they reach the top of the cage @ 5' and remove the suckers as they grow so the tomatoes get more of the calcium and other nutrients.  By that time the plants have more tomatoes than I can eat, anyway.

Outstanding.

thanks 👍

I found a good solution for powdery mildew on zucchini and cukes. Sprayed my tomatoes with it too because I was seeing some signs of blight. It is 3 tbsp of baking soda, 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and a couple drops of dish soap mixed with 1 gallon of water. It works to raise the pH on the leaf and make it unsuitable to grow the mildew. Seems to be working. Spray it once a week. Coat all the leaves. 

Edited by KBfishing

12 hours ago, KBfishing said:

I found a good solution for powdery mildew on zucchini and cukes. Sprayed my tomatoes with it too because I was seeing some signs of blight. It is 3 tbsp of baking soda, 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and a couple drops of dish soap mixed with 1 gallon of water. It works to raise the pH on the leaf and make it unsuitable to grow the mildew. Seems to be working. Spray it once a week. Coat all the leaves. 

Sounds like a worthwhile remedy.