IGNORED

Giving up Cams

dlist777

Cameras are excellent for many reasons. No need in listing them. I’ll say that a lot of guys believe that unless the camera shows action, there’s no living creatures around. And that’s where they BEGIN to hurt you. Guys also feel the need to check cameras multiple times a week. And that’s where they fully do you in. I use each years information captured via cameras to put together a “big picture”and provide me with invaluable information for next year. I NEVER rely on them to decide where or if I hunt. I’ve had a particular animal in zone 8 that I have pictures of one time on one day only in the passed three years. But he returns every year almost to the day. People thought I was a lie bc I had no pictures. Until I did that was. Use them for the right reasons. But NEVER depend on them. 

Sadly,most of the young hunters I know rely on bait and cameras and are very successful at getting pictures of deer that were there yesterday. I try to convince them to get out there and hunt, learn the woods, look for deer sign,learn as much as you can about the deer you are hunting, learn what they are feeding on at different times of the year, finding out where they go when they disappear. The more you know about them the more successful you will be and always hunt the wind no matter what! I killed my buck this year by paying attention to deer sign and wind direction. I was  hunting a funnel leading to a field,during the early rut three small scrapes showed up along the edge of the field . The next time I hunted there a scrape the size of a bathtub showed up, at that point I figured somebody new moved into town and  was sending a message to the youngsters. I waited for the right wind to hunt it again and with a little bit of being in the right tree at the right time it all came together:up: Way more rewarding doing it this way!  JMO

Edited by bucky

All my biggest bucks were never seen on camera.. Either cruising looking for does or being pushed by another hunter.. Sometimes the camera presents the white elephant which is never seen again or taken a mile away.

2 of the biggest bucks I've seen were on camera on state land in Walpack.. Hunted them and became nocturnal once the army of bird hunters set in.. These bucks were in the 50 - 60 class.  

Camera's are great for hunting smaller lots but big woods bucks have a much larger range and completely different animal in my opinion 

I usually put up a few cameras in August and September to take inventory of what is around. I occasionally move a camera to an active scrape site once mid October hits but don't check it very often. Just like to have the pics. Not really using it for intel reasons.

If the sign is there I hunt it and hope for the best. I have been in the stand and watched bucks within feet of the camera but just not in front of it. I would have never known there was any activity there if I only relied on the camera.

I usually put them back out sometime in January with bait and leave them in until March or April to take inventory of what made it through the season.

Cameras are fun but they have their downfalls. Checking them too often as others have said is the biggest problem. Why put all that extra pressure and scent in the woods? Cell cameras are pretty cool. My buddy has one and sends me pics all of the time. Can't get my self to spend the money on one and I think I would just get frustrated knowing I'm not there and the deer are.

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

Camera placement has alot to do with whether you get bigger bucks on cam or not.

The last 17 good bucks I have taken were all known to be there from multiple cam pics.

During that same time I have hunted 2 that I never saw. But had more than a few pictures of.

To me they are a very important tool

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

14 hours ago, LPJR said:

The intel gained from my cameras proved that I should have been on stand between October 20-28 this fall. 

Was I? Of course not. Was working. Ugh. 

Sarge I have an emergency, need to go home immediately, daughter's rabbit escaped.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I am a junky when it comes to cams.  I run them year round its nice seeing what made it and watching them grow. My jersey cams get hundreds of pictures with bait. But my NY spots where there is no bait my  pics are maybe 18-20 a week with no bait. But most are daytime pictures big difference. I will take less if it means  the animal is killable. But I have killed some good bucks on bait in jersey and on a natural pattern in NJ and NY. I live on the border so it's nice having both types of hunting at my disposal. I find if I bait a spot I do it in an area that is big buck friendly like near cattails or a briar tangle. So the animal feels secure to step out with a secure escape back into the thick stuff.  But have found pressure in a surrounding area really impacts what pictures I get. Regardless of bait or not. Pressured deer just act differently and each level of pressure is different in a given area so I adjust for that too. 

23 hours ago, nickyan04 said:

I like trail cams they help you with information that can help you hunt like which direction they come from. I have many mature bucks see my cameras but I haven't noticed any effects it has on them.

Interesting synopsis from a newbie.Most cams aren't wide angle,so where did the deer come from, that's important. I have a Moutrie I think 444.wide field to view. Exclusive set up a camera is crucial a differance makes a difference,rubber boots in and out, the time of day if you think you know where there deer are bedded choose your time wisely with wind direction before checking your cameras and cheching/pulling your card.None scented surgical gloves.Do whatever to mount your cam about 8'10' a topic I never see brought up is most people mount there Cam's spray em with whatever scent eliminator on the cam and ignore,what about the strap/bungee?Dah.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt