IGNORED

Getting A Flu Shot ?

BHC

When we get the vaccine we are not only helping ourselves, but we are helping to contain the spread of the virus to those in the community that could have life threatening complications from the flu.

I realize that our government has been very anti-science the last couple of years, but we can trust the CDC and NIH … they're on our side.

46 minutes ago, BHC said:

I never got the chickenpox, and as child was exposed to it. When I was 41 my MD asked me if I wanted the vaccine I refused,  6 months later I got the chickenpox 3 weeks in quarantine with additional 2 weeks of kidney failure of 85%

Yeah...chickenpox is a mofo to get as an adult.  Sorry you went through that. 

Interesting little tidbit about the chicken pox vaccine... I went to a medical symposium a few years ago and they were discussing the pros and cons of certain vaccines.  In particular, the chicken pox vaccine  has a higher mortality rate than the chicken pox virus.  Yup.. so more children (and adults) die from complications from the vaccine than die from the virus itself.   

Just now, Jim_ said:

When we get the vaccine we are not only helping ourselves, but we are helping to contain the spread of the virus to those in the community that could have life threatening complications from the flu.

I realize that our government has been very anti-science the last couple of years, but we can trust the CDC and NIH … they're on our side.

Staying home and practicing proper hygiene would save more lives than the flu vaccine.  The problem is that people are filthy and selfish.  Every time I see a sick person at work, the store, the gas station, etc I want to punch them in the face.  If you're sick, stay home.  Period.  If you refuse to do that, you're the problem with the world.  Staying home for 48 hours and washing your hands frequently would save more lives than the damn flu shot. 

6 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Staying home and practicing proper hygiene would save more lives than the flu vaccine.  The problem is that people are filthy and selfish.  Every time I see a sick person at work, the store, the gas station, etc I want to punch them in the face.  If you're sick, stay home.  Period.  If you refuse to do that, you're the problem with the world.  Staying home for 48 hours and washing your hands frequently would save more lives than the damn flu shot. 

And don't shake hands! Probably the most common vector of disease transmission, other than maybe sneezing on public transit.

6 hours ago, not on the rug said:

You let your employer dictate what you put in your body?  

I talked to my doctor before doing so. 

In his opinion not getting the shot in a place where thousands of people going through the doors weekly that are sick was plain stupid.

There are thousands of people working here and I actually didn't see one person complain about the mini flu from the shot .

In actuality it's explained that those that would have that side effect immune system was already was very weak.

Will it stop every type flu .No 

But it is preventative medicine. 

Missing work for even a few days instead of just getting a shot that could prevent it is cheap insurance 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

7 hours ago, nmc02 said:

No thanks. All other vaccines are 99 % effective. Flu shot is 35-40 % effective...seems suspect to me. I'll chance it

Nick - the flu shot is 100% effective on the strains it' was designed for.   It is not effective for a new strain.  Every flu shot you ever get, will immunize you for those same strains - FOREVER.       

I used to refuse to get it, figured it would somehow compromise my immune system in the end.    But I commute on the PATH, I work in NYC, and it just makes sense.    I don't see any downside to getting it?

So if I happen to catch a new strain I am not immunized for, I would have gotten it either way. But if it stops me from getting a strain I was immunized for - WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

just went to  cardiologist at Jefferson and the girl that brought me to my room was new she asked if I had mine and I said no don't plan to doc said I can't have it so she proceeded to give me hell LOL doctor come in and I told him what happened his response was I told you you shouldn't because of your problem with meds and now I am saying between us  I don't blame you and if you actually read the research they are not that effective and who the hell knows whats in them the flu lasts a few days long term vaccine effects is still being studied .... just something to think about... FYI he said staying healthy and keeping immune system strong  is the best ... 

12 hours ago, not on the rug said:

100% agreed. well said. 

We all got vaccines as a baby and child. Earlier this year I got the measles vaccine cause the original one may or may not be effective 

Rather be safe then sorry 

People are scared of vaccine yet eat hormone laced meats, vegetables sprayed with pesticides and drink alcohol....stop being hypocrites....you don't want a vaccine for personal reasons fine, but don't spread the liberal rumors about them

12 hours ago, buckhound said:

just went to  cardiologist at Jefferson and the girl that brought me to my room was new she asked if I had mine and I said no don't plan to doc said I can't have it so she proceeded to give me hell LOL doctor come in and I told him what happened his response was I told you you shouldn't because of your problem with meds and now I am saying between us  I don't blame you and if you actually read the research they are not that effective and who the hell knows whats in them the flu lasts a few days long term vaccine effects is still being studied .... just something to think about... FYI he said staying healthy and keeping immune system strong  is the best ... 

:up::up: