IGNORED

...and there you have it!

_X7

Imo  many hunters in Nj are lazy. They will shoot every deer they  can in areas even lacking in deer instead  of looking for a new spot that holds greater numbers. 

There are thousands of acres of public accessable lands that are virtually untouched .

.all within an hour of any hunters home. 

.a little research can go a long ways to finding a honey hole. 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Last deer I took here in NJ was 2012.....I don't shoot does , fawns or below average bucks for the area i hunt ....being selective and patient is hard but is the right thing to do

Lame excuses needed to stop.... "I'm on doe patrol" "I'm hunting on management hunt " "landowner wants the deer dead",  "my family only eats venison" or my favorite pathetic excuse "My buddy wants venison he doesn't hunt"

these are the same people who complain about lack of deer seen in the late season, then come September/October they are back to killing everything

2 flexible buck tags a year, and reasonable doe quotas per zone (per year across all licenses and permits, not to be "reset" with each season).   

Shorter gun seasons - limit to just 6-day and one antlerless day.   Same for muzzleloader.  

Getting driven and shot at by guns drives the deer into areas they can't be hunted.   Shorter seasons and less gun action would allow the deer to be "hunted" and  just a little more relaxed and on some sort of a pattern. 

It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

21 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Here’s the problem with that article: there are more whitetail deer in North America today than at any time in known history. It was only a matter of time before wildlife agencies reversed that trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, and late 90s NJ gave the thumbs up to unlimited anterlesss hunts that went for 6 months....the objective of reducing the herd was a success many years ago..time to drastically scale hack

26 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

2 flexible buck tags a year, and reasonable doe quotas per zone (per year across all licenses and permits, not to be "reset" with each season).   

Shorter gun seasons - limit to just 6-day and one antlerless day.   Same for muzzleloader.  

Getting driven and shot at by guns drives the deer into areas they can't be hunted.   Shorter seasons and less gun action would allow the deer to be "hunted" and  just a little more relaxed and on some sort of a pattern. 

It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that

How about more reasonable doe quotas and a few flexible buck tags .... no matter how you break it up gun bow or muzzleloader . That would probably resolve a lot of it without limiting firearm hunters . Having 5 months and change of hunting / people trampling the woods, period also plays a factor . 

Edited by Bad64chevelle

29 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Agree

30 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Disagree - You like bows / I like guns, why do I get penalized...........  I'm probably more low-impact with a gun then most are with a bow.

30 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Instead of a shorter season, wouldn't a reduction in bag limit accomplish the same thing?

3 minutes ago, LittleM said:

Agree

Disagree - You like bows / I like guns, why do I get penalized...........  I'm probably more low-impact with a gun then most are with a bow.

Instead of a shorter season, wouldn't a reduction in bag limit accomplish the same thing?

This is the approach I like.  Let people hunt how they want but just reduce the limits.  Leave the season flexible so working guys can get out and hunt. 

Otherwise, everyone favors whatever type of hunting they think is the best.  In MD, you get 3 buck tags and 3 seasons: muzzy, archery, rifle/shotgun.  Only restriction is you can only use up to 2 tags in one of the seasons (so you can't use all 3 in one season).  Otherwise, nice and flexible.  

They (like NJ) have crazy doe limits.  Those should come down to something more reasonable.  Maybe the same as buck...

2 minutes ago, LittleM said:

Agree

but would there be any harm in turning gun season back into what it was traditionally?   You might be the exception to the average gun hunter.    And yes - reasonable quotas could potentially help as well. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

Just now, LittleM said:

I'd counter with saying the same about the bow seasons..................

That could be shorter as well.    I do like the EAB September thing, but wouldn't be heartbroken if it went back to October Opener.  Or  - just stop all deer hunting 12/31..  lol   (WHAT - no winter bow, winter muzzy, winter permit shotgun????)

My point is sometimes "less is more" a common theme is the deer seasons are just too damn long

I shot a big 10pt once….

5 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

My point is sometimes "less is more" a common theme is the deer seasons are just too damn long

This is where you lose me.  This part is your opinion.  If the season is too long for you; don't hunt some of it.  It's like those guys on the PA forum still making convoluted arguments on why Sunday should be no hunting.  At the end of the day, it's just because they don't want to hunt on Sundays.  

We agree the harvest is too large.  The most direct way to reduce that is to reduce the quota/tags.  I like as many opportunities to hunt as I can get with every type of weapon.  Why impose someone's preferences on another when you can accomplish the goal via quotas/tags?

Edited by dlist777