IGNORED

...and there you have it!

_X7

1 minute ago, Pathman said:

Easy Vdep! LOL I’m not going anywhere near state estimates, I was just pointing out a local estimate regarding what Hammer mentioned he observed. 

Lol.   Im just trying to paint the whole picture from the data i have available which pales in comparison to the info the state biologists have at their disposal..  the discussion started about low deer numbers and I posted data to prove other wise.    Than IT got into this area that area and I tried to break it down the best I could with what I had.   And to show people to look at given data to form an opinion not based on feeling or what is seen in one small area.    If I turned a few heads to do their own research I've accomplished my goal..  

9 hours ago, Pathman said:

Hammer, if you’re seeing ~20 bucks on each farm ( how big is each property?), and the typical herd makeup is 40% male/60% female, that would mean you have ~70 Deer on each farm. If they’re a sq. mile, which is 640 acres, you have 70 Deer per sq. mile. 

If the property is half a mile sq., then you have 140 Deer per sq mile. 

But these numbers would be averages based on your observations only, and there are always more Deer then are observed in the field, always! 

But there is quite  a bit more to the way the State projects population numbers through distance sampling methods, etc. then we are discussing.

So, I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “follow the money,” in this case I would follow Vdeps comments and follow the data! 😁

Pathman im hunting farms in clinton,whitehouse, annandale, east amwell and Readington .

Every area is loaded with deer and each spot is hunted pretty hard around me,

Im seeing no lack of deer . Differene is pieces around me do have some santuary areas close .

Driving the parkway daily im seeing just as many deer in fields along its path .

Shop is in Piscataway and daily we can see deer out feeding all day. 

Constant pressure pushed deer to spots where they dont get bothered. Leaving huntable areas rest is important and many guys just overhunt 1 piece and shoot too many on those spots pushing the rest of the deer off it .

Charts dont show real success rates.

They show overall success. 10% of the hunters are having much better success than the norm shooting multiple deer .while others go deerless. .

Alot less hunters than thete was twenty years ago. Yet due to longer seasons numbers harvested remain constant. That means successful hunters are shooting more deer each.

I have been hunting the same areas for  45 years. 

Only in the mid 80's did we have more deer around than now. ImO we have way more deer in areas I hunt than we did ten years ago. .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

24 minutes ago, gillripper said:

Guy told my friend he shot 8 does in zone 8 last year. Why? Who needs that much meat?

I can tell you last b year I shot 8.  me and my wife love it..  now I will tell u 3 were from zone 18 1 from 21 4 from 16 from private state and county properties. ..  so I hunt  different areas and zones as to not to put too much pressure in one spot.  And I give very little away we eat it 2 to 3 times per week on average I like venison more than beef..

Edited by vdep217

22 minutes ago, gillripper said:

Guy told my friend he shot 8 does in zone 8 last year. Why? Who needs that much meat?

Many farms want deer taken.

One of my better farms I had to agree to take 10 deer off a season .

And those 10 deer dont even make a reduction on what's there. . 

Farm always carries about the same number yearly. 

As soon as we take 10 off they are replaced by Ten more that push in from the surrounding developments. 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

6 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Many farms want deer taken.

One of my better farms I had to agree to take 10 deer off a season .

And those 10 deer dont even make a reduction on what's there. . 

Farm always carries about the same number yearly. 

As soon as we take 10 off they are replaced by Ten more that push in from the surrounding developments. 

I hunt a farm like that. We take about 40 to 50 deer every year and they keep on coming.