IGNORED

12/14/18 - Special Chukar Stocking To Close Out Pheasant Season

Meh.. at first I thought this was good. Stocking more birds, with a higher bag limit.  Then I looked at the numbers. Consider Winslow. They are going to stock 120 birds - that's only 30 more than what they planned to stock with pheasant (90). But the bag limit is more than 3x what it was before (7 chukar vs 2 pheasant).

Original stocking schedule: https://njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2018/pheas_sched18.pdf and the new stocking schedule: https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2018/pheas_sched18-final.pdf

So basically, the guys that get in first in the morning are going to shoot all the birds. So if you plan on hunting birds on the 29th, get there as soon as shooting time starts, because I have a feeling come mid-morning, all the birds are going to be gone.

Division of Fish and Wildlife <NJFishandWildlife@public.govdelivery.com>

Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 3:21 PM

Reply-To: NJFishandWildlife@public.govdelivery.com

Attention Pheasant Hunters!

Looking for something different this Holiday Season?  Well, the Division is trying something different.  We are purchasing 3,000 chukars to be stocked for the last stocking day of the 2018 stocking season.  
The overabundance of rain this year led to a shortfall in the available pheasants at the Rockport Pheasant Farm.  As a result, the Division will be stocking chukars instead of pheasants for Saturday, December 29. The chukars will be stocked in the same areas as pheasants and we are stocking an additional 750 birds on this day (3,000 vs the published 2,250). 
The bag limit for chukars is seven (7) birds per day, as compared to two (2) pheasants. The Division hopes upland bird hunters enjoy this new experience in the field and welcomes feedback at njfishandwildlife@dep.nj.gov. 
Happy Holidays!
Pheasant Stocking Maps

A “treat” phhht hardly. This is the beginning of less for more. Chukers are cheap compared to pheasant and plain and simply suck as an upland bird. We train dogs with them because they’re cheap, don’t fly strong and land very quickly after being flushed. F&G calling it a treat is an insult at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

45 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

A “treat” phhht hardly. This is the beginning of less for more. Chukers are cheap compared to pheasant and plain and simply suck as an upland bird. We train dogs with them because they’re cheap, don’t fly strong and land very quickly after being flushed. F&G calling it a treat is an insult at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They would be better off stocking rabbits again. 

25 minutes ago, Screaminta said:

Did the state ever stock rabbits? Serious question, I’ve never heard this before...

I recently heard a story that the state did stock rabbits for ....i think ....boy scout programs....to introduce them into hunting many years ago. I will ask my pal who told me more about it n keep u posted 

19 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Meh.. at first I thought this was good. Stocking more birds, with a higher bag limit.  Then I looked at the numbers. Consider Winslow. They are going to stock 120 birds - that's only 30 more than what they planned to stock with pheasant (90). But the bag limit is more than 3x what it was before (7 chukar vs 2 pheasant).

Original stocking schedule: https://njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2018/pheas_sched18.pdf and the new stocking schedule: https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2018/pheas_sched18-final.pdf

So basically, the guys that get in first in the morning are going to shoot all the birds. So if you plan on hunting birds on the 29th, get there as soon as shooting time starts, because I have a feeling come mid-morning, all the birds are going to be gone.

I am sure there will be leftovers. I saw a chukar during 6 day that has survived how many pheasants days up to that point? Because they stocked them for dog training before the season started. That has to be one lucky bird to survive that long. And there was 10-12 pheasant still hanging in the safety zone.

23 minutes ago, archer36 said:

That's not a good thing at a WMA. 

No different than quail...  they had a problem they tried to fix..  I swear some people will never get it..  next time they will just not stock  than how will those that complain react..  archer this is not directed at you.. I quoted you too say not different from quail