IGNORED

duck hunting is... hard

mazzgolf

Went out this morning. Shot my first wood duck. This is really only my second year duck hunting, and this is my first early October season. Let me just say - shooting ducks on the wing is hard... And wood ducks are fast :) I thought mallards were fast, until I saw wood ducks. Mallards look like lumbering bi-planes next to the military jets that wood ducks are - at least, that's what it seems to me. I lost count how many shots and misses I took, until I connected at the very end of the morning hunt. I'm going to enjoy dinner tonight, though. :D

duck-2018-10-24-2.jpg.b4d1181177660d6b0dc75713a2f67f72.jpg

21 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

…..  And wood ducks are fast :) I thought mallards were fast, until I saw wood ducks. Mallards look like lumbering bi-planes next to the military jets that wood ducks are - at least, that's what it seems to me ….

lol …. they can be very tricky to hit. Lots of fun! Like little fighter jets maneuvering through the trees.

Great morning for you!

Wait till you start shooting at teal..  congrats though thru are great birds
Teal are like bullets flying passed you. I have yet to hit one. Lol!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

Teal are like bullets flying passed you. I have yet to hit one. Lol!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Actually teal are one of the slowest ducks in flight topping out at around 35mph, its just cause they are small they seem fast. Now try hitting a pintail at 65mph LOL The fastest recorded duck in flight is the merganser which can hit 100mph. Watching my son pluck them out of the sky is a sight to see, the kid can shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

35 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

Actually teal are one of the slowest ducks in flight topping out at around 35mph, its just cause they are small they seem fast. Now try hitting a pintail at 65mph LOL The fastest recorded duck in flight is the merganser which can hit 100mph. Watching my son pluck them out of the sky is a sight to see, the kid can shoot

The mergansers top recorded speed is 100 mph (approximately) this number is quite deceiving as that bird was clocked by an airplane that was chasing it.  The standard flight speed of a merganser (even when fleeing hunters) is not even close to that, probably closer to half of that

The mergansers top recorded speed is 100 mph (approximately) this number is quite deceiving as that bird was clocked by an airplane that was chasing it.  The standard flight speed of a merganser (even when fleeing hunters) is not even close to that, probably closer to half of that

Why would you say it’s deceiving?
The average duck speed is 40-60mph, a smaller duck at those speeds seems much faster than a larger duck at that speed. Any given duck will fly at various speeds, it doesn’t mean they will fly at top speed or what they are even capable of at any given time. But at the same time doesn’t mean they aren’t able to achieve it.

AWM