IGNORED

Favorite home defense gun

Zone35killer

I have a small combination code pistol safe on each floor of the house.  Each one has a handgun in it in condition 1.  These safes are not going to keep a thief out, but they are enough to keep kids out of it but to keep a weapon available to me wherever I am. 

In addition, in my bedroom safe, I have a 9mm carbine with a suppressor and a reflex sight.   I have one of those sights that you can leave on all the time and has 5 year battery life.  My carbine takes glock mags and has 17 rounds in it.  It's very light and very accurate at close ranges.  Also, with the suppressor I won't blow my ears out shooting.  For me, its a better choice than a pistol.  I have a mossberg 500 too, but that's quite heavy and not useful for my wife.  

Of course,  I live in PA.  My set up will get you put in jail in NJ.  

Edited by dlist777

I keep all my modern firearms locked in the safe. I am more concerned about someone breaking in when I am not there and stealing one.  The only guns out of the safe are replica flintlock and cap lock, these are wall decorations. A thief who would break in probably couldn't figure out how to load and shoot these weapons. In the safe I have a speed loader next to my .375mag, but I would have to open the safe in an emergency to get it.  I don't like to keep the magazines of a semi-auto firearm loaded for a long period of time. The spring will eventually take a set causing the weapon to malfunction.

I do keep a little league size baseball bat handy. The trick with that is not to swing it. The best option is to ram the butt end into the intruder's face. Bottom line is I really don't want the legal hassles incurred with shooting someone. 

Edited by 230jhp

On 8/22/2018 at 7:11 PM, Big one said:

Nothing says “wrong house” like the sound of a pump action twelve gauge.....might have to repair some dry wall.....but I will hit the target.

I don't give them a warning.  The gun is already loaded so they're not going to hear anything, they'll feel the burn of hot lead first, and then the sound of the gunshot will reach them.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

A couple of shutzhund trained dogs should be the first line of defense for anyone.  I prefer rottweilers, but gsd, mals or belgian shepherds are perfectly fine.  

This is how I see it.  If the person hears the dogs barking and still chooses to enter my home,  they aren't there to steal something, they want to cause my family harm.   They deserve the animals' wrath.  If they get past the dogs,  I'm at the top of the stairs with the 12g loaded full of 00buck.   

Edited by not on the rug

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Actually it would be much more gratifying to choke and punch the shit out of somebody who came into my house however if they were alarmed I might use my weapon LOL

Note to self: Continue calling Nomad "sir" and never, ever, under any circumstances, EVER piss him off.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

2 hours ago, 3Blade said:

I'm sending my crazy Portuguese wife(she's from Newark) down the steps to handle it.

If they get past her then I am following up with 12 gauge pump and 00buck! 

Smart Mike send the wife first :up:

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈