IGNORED

1/18 Check In

Greybeard

22 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Getting ready for the recovery.  Didn't sleep well last night.  Still bothers me to see a deer suffer, even more so than it used to.  Was questioning myself why I still want to do this.  Getting old,I guess. 

Good luck to anyone getting out today before tomorrows snowfall. 

Hate to see any animal die a slow death. think twice before you rush the shot and remember the consequences. I always thought of it like this. If there is any doubt in taking the shot, I will not shoot. Good luck in finding the deer.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Getting ready for the recovery.  Didn't sleep well last night.  Still bothers me to see a deer suffer, even more so than it used to.  Was questioning myself why I still want to do this.  Getting old,I guess. 

Good luck to anyone getting out today before tomorrows snowfall. 

It definitely is different the older we get I agree. Wasn’t your intention to make him suffer but it happens. You gave your best effort last night and didn’t give up. You’ll find him this morning for sure. Thank God for giving you the opportunity to harvest a beautiful animal and he won’t go to waste. 
You put way more time than anyone I know for sure. 
Good luck and send pics. 

I hear what you are saying Beard................unfortunately, bad shots happen. Every time it has happened to me I seriously considered quitting hunting.  If those thoughts do not occur, you are not a hunter nor a sportsman. Making a bad shot should weigh heavy on your head. All you can do is do your best to make a great shot which is not possible EVERY time. I shot a buck a few years ago through both hindquarters. I was so disgusted with myself (still don't know how I did it) that I seriously considered never going again. Luckily, I climbed down and located the deer 40 yards away mortally wounded. I was able to finish it off, as humanely as possible. Do the best you can and that is all you can do!

I am going with the shotgun this afternoon in Zn 2 for a doe (hopefully I will score using my dad's 1100....haven't shot one with it in 3 years)! 

4 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I hear what you are saying Beard................unfortunately, bad shots happen. Every time it has happened to me I seriously considered quitting hunting.  If those thoughts do not occur, you are not a hunter nor a sportsman. Making a bad shot should weigh heavy on your head. All you can do is do your best to make a great shot which is not possible EVERY time. I shot a buck a few years ago through both hindquarters. I was so disgusted with myself (still don't know how I did it) that I seriously considered never going again. Luckily, I climbed down and located the deer 40 yards away mortally wounded. I was able to finish it off, as humanely as possible. Do the best you can and that is all you can do!

I am going with the shotgun this afternoon in Zn 2 for a doe (hopefully I will score using my dad's 1100....haven't shot one with it in 3 years)! 

Good luck Nick!

Putting in your best effort to recover a deer is all you can do. It certainly ways heavy on you. But knowing you did your best hopefully eases the feeling. Been there done that. I also think of the circle of life. And other animals will feed off of it if I don't recover it. 

But have confidence. I think that you will recover him.