IGNORED

It is sad what hunting has become.....are we our own worst enemies????

nmc02

2 hours ago, fab said:

Those increases push ppl out of the sport.   

for the die hards that can afford it.  It’s no cost.  For those that are new to hunting younger or not of surplus income the state will turn them away 

what about like 5 or 6 times the increase for fines when f n g laws are broken 

maybe that could help offset some revenue loss 

They are already buying the buck tags so cost to the average hunter does not increase.

2 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

How ?

• Triple cost of out of state licenses and tags
  • $50 flex buck tags?
  • Increase license fees.  

Guys bitch about cost now.  I know I buy the buck tag for if the opportunity arises.  I'm very happy with the 2 8s I took thus year and my 6 day club buck.  I gave not deer hunted since 6 day why because I have a buck on cam that really needs another year but I know if I see him I won't be able to pass him.  I just moved some cams and will start again next week for 1 more doe.  I can say this of all the deer I've killed this year was my most satisfying and memorable was a 60 lb doe with my 5 year old daughter with me..  that was my challenge after tagging out taking a deer with a noisy fidgety 5 year old in the blind with me.  And if it was a spike it would have been the same outcome20231107_170015.jpg

Edited by vdep217

17 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

They are already buying the buck tags so cost to the average hunter does not increase.

thats what I am saying...  Not looking to INCREASE their revenue just a different way to collect the same amount without THEM dictating our behavior and giving us a lot more freedom- with added bonus of reduced buck tags will increase doe harvest

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

5 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

thats what I am saying...  Not looking to INCREASE their revenue just a different way to collect the same amount without THEM dictating our behavior and giving us a lot more freedom- with added bonus of reduced buck tags will increase doe harvest

Sell a $50 bear tag that’s flex also anytime a deer season is open so is bear 

19 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Guys aren’t going to shoot does because they are out hunting with a 7th buck tag .

They aren’t shooting does after the fourth tag . They are buck hunting .

otherwise no need to buy the buck tag . As they already have the unlimited doe tag .

only way guys will shoot more does is if they gave no tags left and still have the desire to hunt .

going to 2 bucks a year would have guys happy to still be able to shoot does .

After reading this topic, I went back and actually paid attention to the dozen or so hunters I keep up with through the season. ^^ This quote is spot on with that group.

Only one guy in that group has killed more does than bucks (1 doe), and that is the only deer he has killed because doesn't get out much. The rest have killed between 3 and 5 bucks this year, and only one of those hunters has killed 2 does, the rest are at 1 doe each. In fact, even in the extended circle of hunters I text with through the season, I think almost all of them have killed as many, if not more bucks than does, that I know of. Could be I don't know every deer they've killed, but what I do know of is in line with Hammers post.

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

21 hours ago, fab said:

Those increases push ppl out of the sport.   

for the die hards that can afford it.  It’s no cost.  For those that are new to hunting younger or not of surplus income the state will turn them away 

what about like 5 or 6 times the increase for fines when f n g laws are broken 

maybe that could help offset some revenue loss 

You can keep the cost the same. 
you would just make two payments at higher rate instead of many payments at lower, like we do today. 

8 minutes ago, DV1 said:

After reading this topic, I went back and actually paid attention to the dozen or so hunters I keep up with through the season. ^^ This quote is spot on with that group.

Only one guy in that group has killed more does than bucks (1 doe), and that is the only deer he has killed because doesn't get out much. The rest have killed between 3 and 5 bucks this year, and only one of those hunters has killed 2 does, the rest are at 1 doe each. In fact, even in the extended circle of hunters I text with through the season, I think almost all of them have killed as many, if not more bucks than does, that I know of. Could be I don't know every deer they've killed, but what I do know of is in line with Hammers post.

Well I guess the people you text with are the problem not the guys on here, maybe you should reach out to them instead of posting it here;)

AWM

Either I can't add or I'm missing something.

How do we get to 7 buck tags?

Fall Bow (1)

Permit Bow (1)

M/L (1)

6 day Firearm (2)

Winter Bow (1)

That adds up to 6. 

If you get 2 during 6 day, you are excluded from using one Permit Shotgun Season. If you get one 6 day, then you can use Permit Shotgun but it still adds up to 6. 

Please advise. 

Edited by archer36

5 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Either I can't add or I'm missing something.

How do we get to 7 buck tags?

Fall Bow (1)

Permit Bow (1)

M/L (1)

6 day Firearm (2)

Winter Bow (1)

That adds up to 6. 

If you get 2 during 6 day, you are excluded from using one Permit Shotgun Season. If you get one 6 day, then you can use Permit Shotgun but it still adds up to 6. 

Please advise. 

They want to add a 7th for permit shotgun . Not legal yet .

11 minutes ago, DV1 said:

I hunt a farm with 9 other guys and we are the opposite but 6 of us are for sure meat hunters first. 
Two guys shoot anything and they usually miss or wound several before they actually get something and usually don’t even see anything since deer have them pattern after the first week of the season.

26 minutes ago, DV1 said:

We don't know if it's on purpose or a matter of opportunity. If there is a 50/50 mix of bucks and doe, then I can see an almost equal harvest. If bucks are a majority of the opportunities, then hunters may feel that killing doe will be detrimental to the herd. As people have said, kill a buck is one deer, kill a doe is 3 potential less deer. Obviously if you are shooting 4-5 deer a year then you are not trophy hunting. You are meat hunting. If so, them a stable or increase in the herd is what you want. Killing mostly doe will hurt that. 

I don't know what people are thinking, but that would make sense to me. Also, there is a mentality among older hunters about killing doe vs bucks.  When deer were scarce years ago, there were no doe days. It may still resonate with us old timers. 

One last thing. During September EAB, it becomes quite a task to shoot a doe when you are seeing lots of bucks of all ages and sizes. It's happened to me several times. 

I only have records for as long as harvests have been saved on the web. I have had about a 50/50 mix of doe and bucks harvested over the last 7 or so years.  It was not so much a selective harvest as much as opportunity. The farm has had depredation permits for years so it is not overrun with deer. You can have many sits without seeing a single deer. So, when opportunity knocks, you take it. 

Edited by archer36

killing or not killing a doe is a great management tool. 
When you kill a doe you are not just killing her and two offsprings. You are killing her and all of her future offsprings. 
assuming she will only have two each year, only one doe and one buck, and her offsprings follow the same pattern, in 5 years you eliminate or add about 30 deer to your area by killing or not killing one single doe. You kill a buck you kill one deer. 

Edited by Lunatic