IGNORED

How do you cook a venison shoulder?

Ringtail

I have my doe quartered up and in my fridge. Before I do any further processing I was thinking about trying to make one of the shoulders into a slow cooker roast. Normally the shoulders get ground up and I want to do something different. Does anyone have any tips for cooking shoulder roast? And what needs to be cleaned off of it before cooking? Right now it is a whole bone in shoulder with the shank still attached. 

Edited by Ringtail

I would remove the shank as it will not cook at the same rate as the shoulder. I cook my shoulders slowly braised in the oven. I like to brown it first if possible. Then put in carrots, celery, onions, spices, and enough broth to barely cover. Put in at least a cup of red wine. Cook till tender. 

You can strain the broth and thicken with cornstarch to make a gravy. 

Edited by archer36

I grind up the shoulders and make burgers and jerkey

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

When I butcher them myself and or it's hot out I keep it simple. I cut that triangular piece and freeze that. May split in half and the shapes will be similar to pizza slice. From there I throw into a crockpot or in oven bag. Can chunk it for stew as well. The rest of the shoulder gets cleaned over with a small knife and the scraps go into a Ziploc gallon bag I keep in the fridge and will grind in the next day or two. 

Not much better than a roast in crockpot for 8-10 hours on low. Usual assortment of veggies in with it. I use one of the McCormick season packets. Roast or stew. Both are similar. 

If needed you can always thaw it and grind it if needed.  From there you can do meatloaf, burgers, meatballs, snack sticks , tacos. 

images (1)~2.jpeg

Separate the shank from the shoulder. Leave the meat on the bone. The bones and cartilage add flavor and texture to the sauce.  Ensure all glands are removed from the shoulder. Follow any Osso Buco recipe you like. Serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles and enjoy. One of my favorite venison meals. You can also cook the neck or shanks the same way.