IGNORED

UPDATE/WE are BACK!! PIC HEAVY!!!-Family Yellowstone trip this summer…any tips!?!?

Flying into Salt Lake then driving to Jackson Hole for 2 nights, then on to Yellowstone for 4 nights in a cabin, then back to Salt Lake for 1 night before flying home. 

Wife scheduled some Cowboy dinners, horseback riding, hiking excursions, etc. 

I would like to take my 8 yr old and 16 yr old boys to do some trout fishing somewhere. 

We were out there 17 yrs ago for my sister in law’s wedding at the Grand Tetons. We saw Old Faithful and I hiked off road bout a 1/2 mile and trout fished a tiny stream for small native trout…and had an eery feeling I was being watched by an apex predator of some sort so I got outa dodge and back to the car quick!

anyone have any insider tips or must sees or do’s, fishin guide referrals, favorite restaurants, etc?

I saw in the news today a lady got gored by a bison!  Definitely want to be safe out there!  

Edited by Bonefreak

That's the trip my wife and I plan on doing soon. Keep me posted on what's good to see and do. From what I heard (a Hunting guide I meet on our Hawaii trip)Glacier National Park is a little better than Yellowstone.  Both are only a few hours apart. Have a great time with the family 

Awesome. My wife and I are going to Yellowstone and then driving up to Glacier in September.  Planning on hiking and doing some fly fishing. Plane, lodges and fly fishing guide booked.  The only tip so far is get some bear spray when you’re out there. 

Glacier is about 8 hours north of Yellowstone and has limited entry by permit, unless you get to the entrances before 6am.  I'd bring bear spray when hiking anywhere in YNP.  Jackson is nice but crowded and expensive. Stop at some of the Teton overlooks for some iconic views, same for Mt. Moran (Oxbow Bend is a good one).  I haven't fished in YNP so I cannot give advice.  More animals north part of Park and more grizzly bears along the east entrance road followed by Lamar Valley, but they tend to be far away from the road.

My son guided in the Jackson area for about 15 years so my wife and I spent a lot of time there. We’ve eaten in just about every restaurant in the area and never had a bad experience. For breakfast I would have recommended The Virginian but I think they closed, Nora’s in Wilson is good too. Cowboy’s on the square is the one with saddles for stools, classic. If you just want a great burger in a rustic place with a great deck to watch the sun go down try The Bird. 
There’s literally hundreds of fishing guides, decide where you want to go and book it. The floats down the Snake with the Tetons as a backdrop are as pretty as you will ever get and the river is full of cutthroats that will come up and eat the dumbest foam flies…..hooking them is a different story. haha.  I have a difficult time with them. If you nymph you’ll pick up a few but it’s tough getting your fly past all the Rocky Mountain bonefish!! (Whitefish) they can be fun.     And that’s the key, let your hair down and have fun. 

For the adrenaline junkies there’s always paragliding off the Jackson Hole ski resort. 

without me, my rifle is nothing

I honeymooned in Jackson hole 4 years ago. Cowboy bar is cool, they put on a live show in the Jackson hole square some nights. (Cowboy shootout). Lots to do, we did a float trip down I believe snake river.  We white watered in snake river, we did a guide atv tour in one of the forest it was filled with some amazing views.  We stayed at spring creek ranch, there was a really nice restaurant there with insane views of the Tetons that was great.  Like mentioned in another post every place in Jackson hole is pretty good.  There’s a brewery in town also with food.  You can easily drive through grand Teton national park for a day. Take the boat at I think it’s Jenny lake and do some hiking. We didn’t bring bear spray as we didn’t expect to be hiking but you should get some out there to be safe.   There is so much to do out there just not enough time.  It’s all expensive out there. At the time our guide that was assigned to us at the resort stated that the county Jackson hole is in is the most expensive in the country.  A huge amount of rich and famous people have ranches out there.  We didn’t get a chance to do it but I heard you can take the ski lift up the Tetons and theres a mini city up there with things to do. Enjoy the trip

Edited by mike033089

1 hour ago, Coyoteslayer said:

Badass trip. Be mindful or rattle snakes. Grizzlies. Wolves. One time my brother and I were trying to sneak up snd punch a snow hare in Montana. Yeah I know but they're so clueless they almost deserve it lol. I looked up and 8 wolves were watching us at 50 yards.  Have dinner don't become it lol.

And for those that were wondering did I punch one? My knuckles grazed fur. Counts as a landed punch imo. A debated victory even to this day between brothers lol. 

The walking tour we did in Jackson hole told us a funny story. Town folk would ride in and have a good time. The woman would leave all the babies bundled up on bench’s on the square. Out of town cowboys would switch kids around and change blankets to confuse the moms. Some who didn’t notice right away, especially in the dark