IGNORED

Tiger Woods returns from near death!

BowhunterNJ

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

I think that is sensationalizing this just a bit.  He's a golfer, not an athlete in the NHL, NFL or NBA.  Games like golf and baseball require tremendous skill, but virtually zero athletic ability.  You don't even need a perfect swing to be a good golfer.  You just need consistency.  

Sure his injury was serious and devastating, but if can compete at a high level in golf after an injury like that, it isn't a testament to Woods,  it's a testament to how little athleticism it takes to play golf.

Say what?  You think Tigers back surgeries were because he's an out of shape, unathletic guy doing simple movements?  There's a tremendous amount of athleticism to do what they're doing and hit the ball as far as they do.  He's fortunate it was his leg that was injured and not his back.  The rotational torque on the spine during a swing is significant. 

I'm guessing you've never played golf.  

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

I think that is sensationalizing this just a bit.  He's a golfer, not an athlete in the NHL, NFL or NBA.  Games like golf and baseball require tremendous skill, but virtually zero athletic ability.  You don't even need a perfect swing to be a good golfer.  You just need consistency.  

Sure his injury was serious and devastating, but if can compete at a high level in golf after an injury like that, it isn't a testament to Woods,  it's a testament to how little athleticism it takes to play golf.

The athleticism in golf may be different than other sports, but golf is without a doubt the hardest sport out there, to be consistent like that. 

14 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Say what?  You think Tigers back surgeries were because he's an out of shape, unathletic guy doing simple movements?  There's a tremendous amount of athleticism to do what they're doing and hit the ball as far as they do.  He's fortunate it was his leg that was injured and not his back.  The rotational torque on the spine during a swing is significant. 

I'm guessing you've never played golf.  

I played a significant amount of golf and shot high 80s for quite a while.  Basically bogey golf.  I understand the game and the physics of the swing very well.  

Golf does not require very much athleticism when compared to football, lacrosse,  hockey, basketball, etc.  His swing could have changed dramatically and as long as he was consistent,  it wouldn't change his game much.  We over-emphasize how far these guys hit all the time.  It really doesn't matter how far they hit their drives because their 2nd (and 3rd) shots are the ones that count.  Just keep the drive on the fairway and you're doing fine.

Edited by not on the rug

5 minutes ago, ModernOutdoorsMan said:

The athleticism in golf may be different than other sports, but golf is without a doubt the hardest sport out there, to be consistent like that. 

Consistency is everything.  We can all make great shots.  Pro golfers make great shots every time they swing a club.  That's the difference.  The mental fortitude and sheer amount of time spent swinging a club is what makes a pro golfer a pro.  Most other sports require that level of mental discipline PLUS athletic ability.   

3 hours ago, not on the rug said:

I played a significant amount of golf and shot high 80s for quite a while.  Basically bogey golf.  I understand the game and the physics of the swing very well.  

Golf does not require very much athleticism when compared to football, lacrosse,  hockey, basketball, etc.  His swing could have changed dramatically and as long as he was consistent,  it wouldn't change his game much.  We over-emphasize how far these guys hit all the time.  It really doesn't matter how far they hit their drives because their 2nd (and 3rd) shots are the ones that count.  Just keep the drive on the fairway and you're doing fine.

It absolutely does matter when your opponent is driving it 350+ and you're driving it 280.  There's a huge advantage on their approach shots to be as short as possible (while still being a full swing).  Course lengths are insane now, so much so that the Open at Merion several years ago couldn't be lengthened to support pro play so they just made the rough ridiculously high and impossible.  The ability to shape shots and manage courses requires elite athletic skill in golf movements and sequencing.  

Different levels and attributes of athleticism in different sports.  Football players outside of a QB don't need to throw.  Baseball players can't survive without elite throwing unless they're a DH.  I don't think anyone needs cardio endurance more than hockey other than maybe soccer.  Golf is a blend of finesse and incredible precision across a very complex athletic movement, it's probably the most technical sport there is.

Consistency is everything.  We can all make great shots.  Pro golfers make great shots every time they swing a club.  That's the difference.  The mental fortitude and sheer amount of time spent swinging a club is what makes a pro golfer a pro.  Most other sports require that level of mental discipline PLUS athletic ability.   

They still make a lot of mistakes despite playing every single day, which goes to show how difficult it is to be good at.  The average casual golfer doesn't break 100 playing from the whites, they prob wouldn't break 130 from pro tees. 

Golf requires a huge amount of mental discipline. Are you trying to say a basketball player requires more?

AWM

Also the physical movement in games like football, baseball, hockey, and basketball are huge contributors to getting into a physical and mental zone/groove.  

Golf is substantially more calculating, so far beyond any of those other sports.  It is an absolute mental grind to calculate and maintain composure then execute precise shots.

2 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

They still make a lot of mistakes despite playing every single day, which goes to show how difficult it is to be good at.  The average casual golfer doesn't break 100 playing from the whites, they prob wouldn't break 130 from pro tees. 

Pro players of all sports make mistakes constantly. If not, nobody would take a bad step, miss a goal, swing at a bad pitch or miss a  free throw.  It's definitely part of the human condition.  Golf is certainly no different.  

2 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Golf requires a huge amount of mental discipline. Are you trying to say a basketball player requires more?

No.  I wasn't saying or implying that at all.   I was literally saying the opposite.  Golf is almost entirely mental and barely physical.  I keep saying that over and over. 

2 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Let alone playing on a course like Augusta. Average golfer would be way higher than 130. Takes tremendous amount of mental stamina and athleticism to play at that level. 

With exception of the miniature courses at LBI I'm not a big fan of the game but I'll admit having Woods back in the hunt does make the event more interesting and I'll watch some of it. 

Either way I wish him well. Given his behavior and his upbringing  I'd say some of his greater challenges are off the green.