IGNORED

Tiger Woods returns from near death!

BowhunterNJ

20 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Debate is healthy! :)

Daryl Davis was on Rogan's podcast again recently and that was actually part of their discussion.   Having conversations, even uncomfortable conversations, with people who have different opinions and different life experiences is one of the most important things we can be doing.  We need to be learning about each other and from each other, not shutting everyone else out and living in our own echo chambers 

8 hours ago, not on the rug said:

Interesting question...I do.   I did well in HS athletics.  Considered D3 schools, but decided to go to a big D1 college (with one of the top lax programs in the nation). I played club lacrosse, but never attempted to try out for the team (one of the biggest regrets of my life) because I was too preoccupied with getting an education and also partying.

In my younger days I could dunk a small ball (like a tennis ball ) but was always 1-2" away from actually dunking a basketball. I could also stand directly under the rim, jump straight up and grab it with both hands.  My best mile time ever was 5:02.  I never ran track so I don't have any true sprint distance times, but I was consistently in the top 2-3 people on both the soccer and lacrosse teams in terms of speed.   I'm 5' 10" and stay around 175lbs to this day. I was 178 the other day.

At 43 I still lift 3x/week, do yoga, run, hike, bike, box (no sparring for this old man), kayak and do whatever else.  My lifting now consists mostly of squats, deadlifts, overhead presses and chinups.   I also have been messing around with learning the olympic lifts in the past year, but had to put that on hold for a while.  

I coach soccer and help out with the lax teams, so I'm running around doing that all year.  I don't golf much anymore,  mainly because of the lack of time.   I did some climbing when I was younger too and would love to join a gym.  Again, no time for it.  

I think that a lot of natural athleticism is just innate.  I was always one of ths hardest workers in the room, but definitely had a knack for whatever I picked up whereas my brother has zero athletic ability whatsoever.  No coordination or motor skill.  Can't  run, jump, etc.

My wife is also very athletic and played D3 soccer. She still loves playing soccer.  She also lifts 3x/week, runs half marathons (she won her age group a few years ago) and do all of the activities that I do too like bike, yoga, etc.  Our kid is already noticeably athletic and excelling at soccer and lacrosse at a young age.  She also likes basketball and wrestling.  

Wife and I are also learning how to surf in the past year as well.  Took some lessons and now we're going to rent boards for the summer before we actually buy.

I do think that athleticism (like singing, musical abilities or artistic ability) is mostly a gift that people are just born with, but it takes hard work to bring those gifts to their full potential.  

Ahh but the true question is did you feel like an athlete when you played golf? LOL. Just messing with you.