IGNORED

Tiger Woods returns from near death!

BowhunterNJ

21 hours ago, not on the rug said:

I think that is sensationalizing this just a bit.  He's a golfer, not an athlete in the NHL, NFL or NBA.  Games like golf and baseball require tremendous skill, but virtually zero athletic ability.  You don't even need a perfect swing to be a good golfer.  You just need consistency.  

Sure his injury was serious and devastating, but if can compete at a high level in golf after an injury like that, it isn't a testament to Woods,  it's a testament to how little athleticism it takes to play golf.

While we may not look at golf as having the same athletic ability as other sports, it still requires athletic ability. Actually you can’t be good without athletic ability. Sure we associate athletic ability with the ability to run fast or long or move heavy things. But all athletic ability is, is the ability to be good at a physical skill. Physical skill. How can you argue there is almost zero physical skill. Hitting a ball, physical skill, throwing a ball physical skill, heck, rolling a ball…physical skill. By definition he’s an athlete. Sure it doesn’t fit within your perspective because you can have a fat old guy that’s an athlete in the sport, but by definition, they are athletes. 

I like golf. But watching golf on tv most times is BORING. When tiger is in contention it’s more exciting period. I don’t care how many broads he banged or blow he snorted lol. Golf prior to him was lee Trevino lol. You’ll find 20 guys any day on a course with a red Nike shirt on that he made cool! Expressing emotion was frowned upon before he came along. He birthed this crop of golfers who he is battling against. It’s impressive if he wins.

I do not play golf other than some rounds of pitch and putt course. I used to tune in if woods was in contention years ago. Then his world came crashing down and I was no longer interested in the guy. But he was truly the best player in the world at that point in time.  No denying the talent. With all that said I am not rooting for him. 

2 hours ago, Jcol6268 said:

While we may not look at golf as having the same athletic ability as other sports, it still requires athletic ability. Actually you can’t be good without athletic ability. Sure we associate athletic ability with the ability to run fast or long or move heavy things. But all athletic ability is, is the ability to be good at a physical skill. Physical skill. How can you argue there is almost zero physical skill. Hitting a ball, physical skill, throwing a ball physical skill, heck, rolling a ball…physical skill. By definition he’s an athlete. Sure it doesn’t fit within your perspective because you can have a fat old guy that’s an athlete in the sport, but by definition, they are athletes. 

Where does that line get drawn?  Are pool players athletes?  What about ping pong? Olympic table tennis is intense,  but fat guys playing in their basement aren't athletes, are they?  Darts?

Golfers have skill...skill and being an athlete aren't the same thing.  Baseball players are skilled,  but very few are athletic.   NFL fullbacks are athletic, but have very few skills.  If they were skilled, they'd be halfbacks or wide receivers.  I'm not trying to turn this into a semantics game, but if I'm drawing a line on a graph, golfers don't fall on the "athlete" side of that line

Edited by not on the rug

10 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

I do not play golf other than some rounds of pitch and putt course. I used to tune in if woods was in contention years ago. Then his world came crashing down and I was no longer interested in the guy. But he was truly the best player in the world at that point in time.  No denying the talent. With all that said I am not rooting for him. 

He he went astray after his dad died. Like Mike Tyson after his manager died.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

8 hours ago, not on the rug said:

You've missed the mark with almost every single word of your response.  I can't believe you're that offended for and defensive of a golfer.  Even the title of this thread is sensationalized.   

Golfers have exceptional talent and mental fortitude.  I have repeatedly said that and never once underplayed that.  You're trying to put words in my mouth that I've literally said the opposite of multiple times. 

I love when people tell me I don't understand the complexity of something.  Since you clearly do, tell us how many years you played on the tour.  Best round at Augusta?  Best round ever?  

I'm not offended at all, more so amazed and confused by your position.  I assure you nothing you could ever say would offend me.  

I do follow, have studied, played, and practiced the game for many years now.  However none of that really matters.  I don't need to play piano extensively to appreciate its difficulty or the complexity of composing it.  You seemingly underplay and underestimate the level of skill required and then call people that don't follow your line of thinking as "beta" males bowing at an alpha male when none of that is actually happening.  Sure it'd be cool to meet Tiger or any pro golfer but I personally wouldn't treat them any differently than you or anyone else.  As an athlete they're exceptional, as a person and man no one is above anyone else.

To restate your position you don't really feel golfers are athletic despite later saying they have exceptional talent and mental fortitude.  So is that talent in a non athletic way?  See why I'm confused?  Not putting words in your mouth, I'm saying precisely your words.  

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

Where does that line get drawn?  Are pool players athletes?  What about ping pong? Olympic table tennis is intense,  but fat guys playing in their basement aren't athletes, are they?  Darts?

Golfers have skill...skill and being an athlete aren't the same thing.  Baseball players are skilled,  but very few are athletic.   NFL fullbacks are athletic, but have very few skills.  If they were skilled, they'd be halfbacks or wide receivers.  I'm not trying to turn this into a semantics game, but if I'm drawing a line on a graph, golfers don't fall on the "athlete" side of that line

So again you're equating athletic with what?  Only physical strength?  Agility?   Seems like your definition is a strength, power and "size" line...and that is flawed.  It's even more flawed when you believe golfers don't have strength, power and agility...and don't train for it. 

https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/how-7-golfers-train-blast-powerful-drives-pga-tour/2-jordan-spieth/

In HS I caddied at a country club for the nouveau riche and the way those swine treated us, and staff in general, turned me off to the game.  I'll never forget a Wed afternoon with a foursome of gynecologists when I was about 14 and not very experienced in the ways of the world. Given how those doctors talked about bodies, liquids, and holes, I'm glad I'm still attracted to women. But watching you guys get your manbuns in a tizzy about golf, athleticism, and testosterone--not to mention upbringing, druggies, and hoes--is great entertainment. Much more exciting than watching golf on TV. 

1 hour ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I'm not offended at all, more so amazed and confused by your position.  I assure you nothing you could ever say would offend me.  

I do follow, have studied, played, and practiced the game for many years now.  However none of that really matters.  I don't need to play piano extensively to appreciate its difficulty or the complexity of composing it.  You seemingly underplay and underestimate the level of skill required and then call people that don't follow your line of thinking as "beta" males bowing at an alpha male when none of that is actually happening.  Sure it'd be cool to meet Tiger or any pro golfer but I personally wouldn't treat them any differently than you or anyone else.  As an athlete they're exceptional, as a person and man no one is above anyone else.

To restate your position you don't really feel golfers are athletic despite later saying they have exceptional talent and mental fortitude.  So is that talent in a non athletic way?  See why I'm confused?  Not putting words in your mouth, I'm saying precisely your words.  

No...I don't.  You're still responding to what you "think" I'm saying vs what I'm actually saying.  You're too smart for that Matty, so what gives?

I'm not underplating their skill or talent.  Skill and talent (to me) don't constitute being an athlete.  Show me the guys with 40" vertical leaps and <4.4 second 40s.  Those are athletes.  Show me a guy dunking a ball from the free throw line.  He's an athlete.  Show me an olympic cross country skiier.  He/she is an athlete.   Show me a defenseman that goes end to end, makes 3 moves, then fakes the goalie out to score.  He's an athlete. The guy swinging a golf club might happen to be an athlete occasionally, but by and large, golfers aren't athletes nor does golf require athleticism. Talent and/or skill doesn't equate to athleticism.  Professional dart players are exceptionally talented and skilled.  Do you consider them athletic or think their "sport" requires athleticism? 

Does that clarify my position enough?

Edited by not on the rug

54 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

So again you're equating athletic with what?  Only physical strength?  Agility?   Seems like your definition is a strength, power and "size" line...and that is flawed.  It's even more flawed when you believe golfers don't have strength, power and agility...and don't train for it. 

https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/how-7-golfers-train-blast-powerful-drives-pga-tour/2-jordan-spieth/

So a few golfers taking care of themselves and trying to improve their game is your example.

50 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Not an athlete?

image.jpeg

Anyone on a high level football field is an athlete.  That guy could outrun you, then pick you up with one hand and choke slam you like a rag doll? Are you being difficult on purpose or do you really not understand the difference?