IGNORED

Undercooked Vension can cause rare blindness

megavites

Thanks! I very rarely eat venison before it has been frozen. I actually think that venison becomes more tender after freezing. The few times I ate fresh backstraps or tenderloins, they were not as tender as I expected. This is immediately after harvesting, not after several days hanging in cool temps. I have no reason not to freeze venison before eating. I see no benefit to it. 

I wonder if this parasitic disease is unique to North America? Reason being, I hunted South Africa twice. All game meat is eaten several days after refrigeration but never frozen. Clients and Professional Hunters alike. You would think that the PH's would come down with something since they consume large amounts of it. 

Edited by archer36

History - in over 60 years of hunting -- Eating the Deer Livers hearts 90% same day even would ask others in the group for theirs, The Club I once belonged  had a guy that fried up the Nuts Overland trout from all the deer that week. 

Than some years passed and all of a sudden a Warning came out from NJDFAG  DO NOT EAT THEM PCBs-  LEAD - Mercury, 

Add to it all the other Maladies  ( Diseases ) Deer have been know to carry  Blot fly- Mad Cow - Wasting ? 

I always cooked it Rare 5% Fresh 95% after freezing Was even told it was Super high in Cholesterol ( NOT )

There are dangers in everything, The only effects I  can attribute to Eating Venison is In the fall Rubbing my Head on Trees & Being Horny 

How Many of you have Eaten The Beaver  :shock: without going Blind :acclaim:

001.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

3 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

And I almost always take a few select cuts as I butcher, and then eat rare for lunch/breakfast....

Thanks for posting

Me two and will continue to do so. I’ve survived all theses years. My ol man always said I was gonna go blind but it wasn’t from eating rare or med rare venison 

1 hour ago, archer36 said:

Thanks! I very rarely eat venison before it has been frozen. I actually think that venison becomes more tender after freezing. The few times I ate fresh backstraps or tenderloins, they were not as tender as I expected. I have no reason not to freeze venison before eating. 

I wonder if this parasitic disease is unique to North America? Reason being, I hunted South Africa twice. All game meat is eaten several days after refrigeration but never frozen. Clients and Professional Hunters alike. You would think that the PH's would come down with something since they consume large amounts of it. 

Any raw meat or fish has its risks.  I've eaten seabass fluke and tuna that just came over the rail. I've eaten rare deer and beef.  Again I've had no issues but understand risks

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

At least 100 people will die across America today in car wrecks.  Likely nobody will die from eating raw venison today or at all this year.  And who eats it raw anyway?  For me, there's no real concern here, but I suppose it's good to know.  

:hmmmer:

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif