IGNORED

EHD CHECK IN (include location)

nb6624

7 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

EHD hit the walkill River area several years in a row. 4-5 years ago they found several hundred animals dead throughout the area. This is nothing new. It’s simply affecting more widespread areas of the state. Northern hunters have tried bringing this to attention for awhile. Perhaps now that it’s more widespread, people will pay attention. 

Pay more attention but do what? Nothing can be done, can it? 

7 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

if they can spray for mosquitos, the could spray for the midges, except that would be counter-productive to the goals of the state, which is to reduce the deer herd by any means possible.  Remember - the insurance lobbies are very powerful. The only way to make a difference is to stop buying licenses and DEFINITELY we need to NOT by any permit whatsover for these zones...  Only if revenue takes a sharp decline, would the state react in our favor.  

So I implore ALL OF YOU - do NOT buy any permit whatsoever for any DMZ impacted by EHD. 

It’s unrealistic to ask people not to buy permits. It will never happen. 

8 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

Is there a way to test a harvested deer for EHD???

I think in most cases (but not all) it'll be obvious before shooting the deer. I found the below info, it's pretty helpful 

What are the signs of a deer with EHD?

Deer with EHD often appear weak, lethargic, and disoriented. Other signs of EHD in deer are ulcers in the mouth or on the tongue, swollen face, neck, or eyelids, and a bluish color to the tongue. Deer with EHD often search for water to combat the fever caused by the disease. EHD can be confirmed by testing blood and tissue (i.e., spleen) samples, but samples must be collected shortly after death.

How can I tell if a deer I killed during hunting season has survived EHD?

If you kill a deer during the hunting season this year, pay attention to the hooves. Deer that survive an EHD outbreak often have indentions or cracks on their hooves (see picture).

Sloughing or splitting hooves on two or more feet of a deer taken during the fall hunting season are typlical of chronic HD. Photo used courtesy of the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study.

39 minutes ago, Buckeyes11 said:

It’s unrealistic to ask people not to buy permits. It will never happen. 

I think it will just happen naturally.  Zones are pretty big - but pockets of EHD will wipe out square miles... For those that only hunt in those pockets within that zone, they may very well not buy a permit for anything.   Take @tcook8296 for example.  Guy worked his ass of physically and financially to create his whitetail haven - EHD wiped it out....   He may not buy a permit of any kind for that zone. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

8 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

What can actually be done about it except to adjust limits of areas hit by it  ?  

Nothing can be done. It’s a standing water which leads to mud issue. If you have a pond with gradual banks for example, what you can do it make the banks more steep/vertical. Other then that it is here to stay. The heavy rain and flooding we had followed by the water receding in my opinion is what stemmed the increase in breakout. 

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

Pay more attention but do what? Nothing can be done, can it? 

Yeah hunters as a whole can make the personal decision to take less animals in affected areas. Have you noticed the Dramatic decrease in successful hunts, especially when it pertains to big bucks on social media? I’ve taken one animal on my property. I let the rest walk. The herd where I am is barely in recovery mode. Guys who want to shoot 9 deer will simply delay the recovery process. Whether they want to hear it or not. 

43 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

Yeah hunters as a whole can make the personal decision to take less animals in affected areas. Have you noticed the Dramatic decrease in successful hunts, especially when it pertains to big bucks on social media? I’ve taken one animal on my property. I let the rest walk. The herd where I am is barely in recovery mode. Guys who want to shoot 9 deer will simply delay the recovery process. Whether they want to hear it or not. 

In areas hit hard by EHD no one is killing 9 deer. Those areas will naturally have fewer hunters and harvests.  

14 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

I haven’t seen spraying for mosquitoes since I was a kid . It’s not that easy to “ just spray ”.  We all know what the states goal is about our deer herd . And lastly EHD isn’t wiping out entire zones , so why punish guys who hunt in that zone that their herd hasn’t been affected into not buying a permit . NB6624 said he killed deer in zone 5 with EHD so I guess you won’t be buying a permit for extended bow ? 

Monmouth county has a Mosquito Control Dept that sprays with a helicopter. Maybe it has something to do with not the high numbers you guys are speaking of across the state.  I have not seen any sign of EHD or CWD in my area.