IGNORED

EHD CHECK IN (include location)

nb6624

4 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I have 2 spots in readington and both look a lot slower but no sign of EHD…I am holding out hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on Coddington road close to 22 are you anywhere near there.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

9 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I have 2 spots in readington and both look a lot slower but no sign of EHD…I am holding out hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the weather is still on the warm side, I haven't seen many deer either until we had a couple cool mornings last week . My ride to work is from one end of Z12 to the other end in Readington, the deer came out of the wood work on those couple of mornings, not so much once it warmed up again

Edited by bucky

EHD hit the walkill River area several years in a row. 4-5 years ago they found several hundred animals dead throughout the area. This is nothing new. It’s simply affecting more widespread areas of the state. Northern hunters have tried bringing this to attention for awhile. Perhaps now that it’s more widespread, people will pay attention. 

44 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

I watched it wipe out the deer on my farm in 2 weeks time

That's terrible Tom - especially after all the hard work you put into it.  All those years stressing over the farmers and depredation permits, and turns out mother nature was the bigger issue by far. Hopefully you can get into some good mid-west hunts

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

15 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

EHD hit the walkill River area several years in a row. 4-5 years ago they found several hundred animals dead throughout the area. This is nothing new. It’s simply affecting more widespread areas of the state. Northern hunters have tried bringing this to attention for awhile. Perhaps now that it’s more widespread, people will pay attention. 

What can actually be done about it except to adjust limits of areas hit by it  ?  

1 minute ago, Russ 11 said:

What can actually be done about it except to adjust limits of areas hit by it  ?  

if they can spray for mosquitos, the could spray for the midges, except that would be counter-productive to the goals of the state, which is to reduce the deer herd by any means possible.  Remember - the insurance lobbies are very powerful. The only way to make a difference is to stop buying licenses and DEFINITELY we need to NOT by any permit whatsover for these zones...  Only if revenue takes a sharp decline, would the state react in our favor.  

So I implore ALL OF YOU - do NOT buy any permit whatsoever for any DMZ impacted by EHD. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

10 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

if they can spray for mosquitos, the could spray for the midges, except that would be counter-productive to the goals of the state, which is to reduce the deer herd by any means possible.  Remember - the insurance lobbies are very powerful. The only way to make a difference is to stop buying licenses and DEFINITELY we need to NOT by any permit whatsover for these zones...  Only if revenue takes a sharp decline, would the state react in our favor.  

So I implore ALL OF YOU - do NOT buy any permit whatsoever for any DMZ impacted by EHD. 

I'll bet 60-70% of deer hunters don't even know it exists. Or how severe it is. I'm heading down to zone 10 to check my cameras today.  Three weeks ago i had two fawns, one doe and a spike buck. Haven't hunted so far this year.

11 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I haven’t seen spraying for mosquitoes since I was a kid . It’s not that easy to “ just spray ”.  We all know what the states goal is about our deer herd . And lastly EHD isn’t wiping out entire zones , so why punish guys who hunt in that zone that their herd hasn’t been affected into not buying a permit . NB6624 said he killed deer in zone 5 with EHD so I guess you won’t be buying a permit for extended bow ? 

1 minute ago, ithaca10 said:

I'll bet 60-70% of deer hunters don't even know it exists. Or how severe it is. 

I think you are right. I spoke with a few hunters I know in the last month and they had no idea EHD was hitting the state.  

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

3 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

I haven’t seen spraying for mosquitoes since I was a kid . It’s not that easy to “ just spray ”.  We all know what the states goal is about our deer herd . And lastly EHD isn’t wiping out entire zones , so why punish guys who hunt in that zone that their herd hasn’t been affected into not buying a permit . NB6624 said he killed deer in zone 5 with EHD so I guess you won’t be buying a permit for extended bow ? 

if my area was clearly hurt several sq miles surrounding my spots, would not buy permit.  (pretty much within a normal herd's range). 

I shot a big 10pt once….