IGNORED

EHD CHECK IN (include location)

nb6624

2 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

When I was younger one of the hunter ed questions was what conservation was. Answer was the wise use of our natural resources. 
That means WE the hunters need to be conscious of everything we do. We need to value the resource and protect it for the future. If the state has a high set bag  limit and the area in our opinion doesn’t warrant it, we need to take less. How many guys kill 20 deer yet donate them to some game dinner? 
Turkey was seemingly down last couple years we should take maybe a bird or two and let them rebound. Hens, does should be personally off limits. If say a certain duck species is down, limit ourselves. Rabbits, don’t hunt an area til they’re all gone. Conserve, save seed for tomo.  We need to do our part when need be. Consider that 

But, just because some areas are affected it doesn't mean they all are. I have noticed very little ehd activity in high ground areas. Still have developments and golf courses that are loaded with deer. I am curious to see if it stays that way. 

18 hours ago, archer36 said:

Agree. It will become evident if you have been hunting for a few months how much or if any toll has been taken in your area. It wouldn't make sense for you to buy a permit if the herd was decimated anyway. So, things will take a natural course. The proof will be in the numbers. The State keeps records by zone. If certain zones see a drastic decline in harvest then the regs for the next year should be adjusted. Just saying you saw a few deer dead isn't enough. The numbers will tell the story. You can't kill what's not there. Even looking at it by zone isn't totally fair. You are using an axe where a scalpel is needed. It was mentioned that Insurance companies have a lot of power. What about Farmers? They will raise hell if it's done unfairly. It's almost a no win situation for F&G. 

They only reduce limits if there is a decline for several straight years. So ehd will probably not affect any bag limit changes in the zones affected this year by ehd. Because there will be a sharp decline followed by improving numbers over the next few years as the herd rebounds. So it is basically up to US to decide to the right thing if in an area hit by ehd. 

17 hours ago, BOWHIO said:

since when does a biologist know anything about deer hunting?? if they dont google it they dont understand it imo

I mean if its the Biologist advising our governor you're probably right! 

However , i trust the F&G staff (even though some of the decisions are a bit of head scraatcher)

1 hour ago, deadonshot2 said:

They only reduce limits if there is a decline for several straight years. So ehd will probably not affect any bag limit changes in the zones affected this year by ehd. Because there will be a sharp decline followed by improving numbers over the next few years as the herd rebounds. So it is basically up to US to decide to the right thing if in an area hit by ehd. 

You are assuming EHD does not reoccur in the next few years. I wouldn't bank on that. Chances are the areas that are getting hit now will get hit again because they have the conditions for it. Wouldn't make sense for them not to take immediate action. It's obvious the problem is not widespread, but in pockets. If an annual harvest shows a Statewide decline, it could be attributed to factors like weather etc. F&G knows EHD exists. A drastically reduced harvest in specific areas would show the need for immediate action......I would hope!

Edited by archer36

Public piece I hunt in Middlesex got hit really hard. Me personally won’t take a doe and neither will my son. Correct me if I’m wrong but not buying a permit doesn’t make sense to me? To me that will only show less hunters to F&G. Buying a permit and showing way less deer taken I would think would raise eyebrows? I don’t think guys in areas hit hard should shoot every doe they see just because they can. I also think doing a deer drive with 20-30 guys and pushing out the very few deer left in an area and killing them doesn’t make much sense on our part. The entire state has not been affected and certain areas in a zone also aren’t as bad as other parts. We need to adjust our limits on our own cause right now the state doesn’t seem too concerned. 

Edited by Rjtfd

5 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Why do you suspect EHD here? Nothing classic about it

It was a building surrounded by swamp. She was frothing at the mouth and stumbled around for 4 hours before dying. Typical symptoms 

Can the moderators get this back on track???  This topic is about where and when you are seeing EHD. It has spun into a F&G and back and forth about not where is being hit. There should be another thread started for that. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

6 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

We don’t have cwd

I'm well aware of that!:nerd: A lotta Guys in NJ that hunt out of state PA and NY that would harvest a deer would/could bring it back home to the local butcher. Well with the new New Jersey laws that's history now, sad for butchers and taxidermists!!!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

6 hours ago, KBfishing said:

But, just because some areas are affected it doesn't mean they all are. I have noticed very little ehd activity in high ground areas. Still have developments and golf courses that are loaded with deer. I am curious to see if it stays that way. 

I've been thinking that all the development on dry ground has unnaturally concentrated deer in the swamp areas that are never developed, making them far more susceptible to catching & spreading the disease. 

47 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

I've been thinking that all the development on dry ground has unnaturally concentrated deer in the swamp areas that are never developed, making them far more susceptible to catching & spreading the disease. 

I belive its the opposite.  Water sitting on hi ground in sand areas.  A healthy swamp always has standing water and things that eat the midges and larve keeping them in check 

35 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I belive its the opposite.  Water sitting on hi ground in sand areas.  A healthy swamp always has standing water and things that eat the midges and larve keeping them in check 

I know what you're saying with drought conditions being related to higher ehd  but it seems like swampy areas are being hit harder than uplands. 

26 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

I don’t think high ground has anything to do with it either. The deer go somewhere near a water source and if the disease is there they’re getting it. You may just be fortunately out of it. 

The midge larvae ideal water conditions is shallow, warm, sunlit water with disturbed mud so maybe the high ground theory has something to it. the research shows typical cattle ponds are ideal 

Edited by Lunatic