IGNORED

Theory on seasons

the truth

Ok, so I live and hunt in a zone with the most strict bag limits and shortest seasons (Z34). We are only allowed 1 deer of either sex for basically all of our seasons, including permit seasons. It sure would be nice if our seasons were as long as the other zones, and we are only allowed one deer anyway. So why don’t we get the same amount of time as other zones and wouldn’t it make sense to make all permit seasons the same length and just adjust the bag limits per zone? You’re only allowed one here, so why does it matter when you get it? You’re done once you kill. And we pay the same amount of money as everyone else. I can’t be the only one in the state that thinks this is common sense. Thoughts?

The state doesn't want everyone that buys a permit to kill a deer.  They estimate the average success rate and number of permits typically sold in a zone to estimate the expected harvest.  By shortening the season they insure success rates are low enough that they can sell more permits and keep harvest numbers where they want them.

I can understand where you’re coming from. I hunt zone 23 and the state not only cut down the bag limits but they shortened permit bow by a week but also shortened permit muzzleloader by a week . Not to mention that the genus’s that are in charge of Wharton state forest decided to close the road that my family used for 100 years. They were my honey holes for shotgun and muzzleloader 

13 hours ago, the truth said:

Ok, so I live and hunt in a zone with the most strict bag limits and shortest seasons (Z34). We are only allowed 1 deer of either sex for basically all of our seasons, including permit seasons. It sure would be nice if our seasons were as long as the other zones, and we are only allowed one deer anyway. So why don’t we get the same amount of time as other zones and wouldn’t it make sense to make all permit seasons the same length and just adjust the bag limits per zone? You’re only allowed one here, so why does it matter when you get it? You’re done once you kill. And we pay the same amount of money as everyone else. I can’t be the only one in the state that thinks this is common sense. Thoughts?

You answered your own question. Your zone has low deer numbers, so no need for lengthy seasons. Seasons and bag limits expand and contract with the amount of animals at any given time. Those of us that started hunting in the 70s or earlier remember very short seasons and very limited bag limits because the herd was a small fraction of what it later became.