IGNORED

Question Those Who Split Wood By Hand

Bucndoe

After my son shot a buck last week in Deer Camp he proceeded to break the handle on the camp maul. It was going anyway. I replaced the handle today but have a question for those hand splitters out there. I got the wedge in there and it is super tight and solid, however do I need to add smaller metal ones through that wedge or is that over kill ? 

KIMG1527.thumb.JPG.31d9c6163fdf0110579a1a6cc7d2e524.JPGKIMG1530.thumb.JPG.4a50a1e83c55a61b3726633e15c485cb.JPGKIMG1529.thumb.JPG.b2177f0f56cdbad2921d9f43715701bb.JPG

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I defer to Rusty, but my favorite 6lb maul eventually made it's way to a fiberglass handle which is no way as good as original wood but it's now permanent.  Tried  multiple replacement handles exactly as you are doing over 20++ years but none lasted regardless of wood or metal shims to hold the handle in place. 

As long as it is in there tight- take it as long as it goes but lower your expectations would be my advice. It will get loose sooner than you wish. If you over-shim it, it will just weaken the handle i think. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Forget the wedges and get one of these:

485839154_Screenshot_20191123-200301_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.776389d5513f0e6689b698aa7294bae3.jpg

The handle is impossible to break and the head is permanently attached.  It's much lighter, swings faster, and you'll be astounded at what you can split with it vs. a regular maul.

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

I like fixing things and it has been a part of that camp for a long time. I'm sure there are others that are better out there but it is engrained in the fabric of that camp

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

To answer the OP's question - I always used to use the iron wedges into both the wooden edge and the handle too.

I also have the same splitting axe that Swamp Yankee has - I was leary of a 'plastic axe' at first but I was sold on the longer handle which provides more kinetic energy - it work very well.  But for serious 'rounds' of tree I use this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-8-lbs-Forged-Steel-Maul-with-36-in-Fiberglass-Core-Handle-751110-1001/300703984?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_11_TOOLS-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_11_TOOLS-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP-71700000041074948-58700004807804150-92700041230804539&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8qyj4NuB5gIVIueGCh1S8wPVEAQYBCABEgJOz_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This sucker destroys all before it and for truly stubborn knotty and twisted stuff I use the hammer side to drive in splitting wedges.  Again the longer handle delivers the goods and it also really absorbs the stock when the wood is stubborn.

Edited by madeinuk

I put the metal wedges in. All done now

KIMG1533.thumb.JPG.b39a15d2248673fbe978cab3db9b7f20.JPG

1 hour ago, Zipper said:

My question to those who split wood by hand. WHY???:D

Its a great workout especially when you get into a rhythm.  With a Fiskars you can swing fast and crack open rounds quickly without having to constantly reset as long as you're splitting nice straight grained wood and it turns into full blown cardio.  I love going outside and hand splitting on a cold day.  That said, I only do it for the pure enjoyment and exercise.  The majority of my firewood is machine split.  Hand splitting everything would take too much time.

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive