IGNORED

The Best Hunting and Fishing SUVs!

BowhunterNJ

Alright, let's kick off a topic on the BEST hunting and fishing SUVs!

What fits all your gear well whether it's hunting gear, treestands, etc OR fresh or saltwater gear and still has enough power to haul stuff pretty well?

I've had a Tahoe for many years now and don't have much in the way of complaints other than the body rusting prematurely.  It's done all I've asked of it and I like the benefit of keeping my gear locked/secured and out of the elements.  The biggest downside is getting it dirty and transporting big items such as lumber, firewood, etc.  Deer are no problem with a hitch carrier.  One option for bigger items is to get a trailer, but that's probably a big PITA hooking up and taking over to Lowes/HD just to throw some sheets of plywood on but what other option is there?

I'm still searching for a replacement and now with a baby here, I'm even thinking of going bigger (Suburban or Expedition).  I'm certainly more a of a Chevy fan than Ford fan.

So what do you like and use for your work, play, and family?

My Jeep GC been very good to me and versatile.   Been to Ohio 4 times towing a quad with trailer, and more trip to the shore, Delaware, and lakes and streams to fish than I can count.  'Tows 15' aluminum boat with ease.  

So why am I considering a PU truck next?   

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Currently in My Jeep Cherokee I have:
A lone wolf sit on climber, Millenium hang on, Lone wolf sticks, Jetsled, shooting sticks, 3 pair of boots, two large scent control bags and a large tote, muzzle loader box, ammo box, bolt discharge bag. Then I add weapons. And there is room for more:-)

F3214564-5E2E-4D0C-92B5-280F1BAC4932.jpeg

A1BB41AB-8857-4071-98B9-FD9CD1C7EEE8.jpeg

Edited by Lunatic

My Jeep GC been very good to me and versatile.   Been to Ohio 4 times towing a quad with trailer, and more trip to the shore, Delaware, and lakes and streams to fish than I can count.  'Tows 15' aluminum boat with ease.  
So why am I considering a PU truck next?   

The hell if i know. I have a truck and was considering another, now i am thinking SUV. I am so confused. How about you? LOL

Sent via carrier pigeon

AWM

After having pick up trucks I bought my first suv (1993 GMC suburban 2500 with a 454 and a 4.10 rear) that vehicle turned me into an suv guy. I currently have a 1999 chevy suburban 2500 with a 454 and a 4.10 rear, and a 2013 chevy suburban 2500 with a 6.0 and a 3.73 rear, loaded with people and gear I tow a 26' boat with ease. A hitch hauler on the back takes care of deer, gas cans and a few other items I don't want inside and a small trailer takes care of almost everything else.

I'm partial to Nissan and have actually owned 2 pathfinders. No issues in either aside from routine maintenance and a couple of wheel bearings (but that pretty standard in lifted vehicles with wheel spacers and oversized tires).  

I'd say the best would be either an R51 Pathfinder (which they stopped making in 2012) or a Toyota 4runner.  There is a reason that those (and the Toyota Landcruiser) are the most common overland vehicles used all over the world.  Reliability.  Capability.  Plus, they both look nice.  MY 2007 LE is fully loaded, beautiful interior, Navigation, etc and will tow 6k lbs when I need it to.  

I could fit it all in here I wish I still had this Jeep Wagoneer.

H10.jpg

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

2 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Been debating that approach too.

This is what I did for a while.  Then we inherited a mini van, which was huge, but the stigma and shame I would have suffered meant never bringing it to a hunter meet-up.  Was great bringing people to concerts and stuff.  But I generally hate people, so it had limited uses.

So last year my wife got a new Subaru Outback to replace her Forrester (the kid inherited that).  Kars for Cash got the minivan.  And of course I traded in my Dakota for the Ram 2500 Big Horn with the Mega Cab.

So instead of taking the Subaru on long road trips like we did in the past, we take the truck.  More room overall, we're higher up on the road so the "regular little people" are beneath us (as they should be and will remain).  Kids have a ton of room in the back, and the wife has her own climate control.

You need to take a step back and ask yourself, "Do I need a truck?"  The answer is usually, "No", but you also have to consider, are you at the point in your life where you are concerned about "needs" or can you fulfill your "wants".  You may not "need" a truck, but you know you "want" one.

I definitely don't need the truck I have.  I definitely wanted the truck I have.  And if I had more money, I would have gotten even more truck.

So whomever said, "you should only buy what you need", was some cheap-ass bastard whose name no one can ever seem to remember.  But that dude with the absurdly large truck that you covet so badly, yeah, we remember his name.  It's Haskell....

:rofl::nerd::shock::stirring:

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.