IGNORED

Anyone install a rubbing post?

I have done this before out west but never here in Nj. 

I found and cut a tree with an overhanging branch. I chose cedar because deer seem to like them better. 

I dug a hole about 25 yards from my treestand out in a field. 

Also made a mock scrape under the over hanging branch.  I even started a rub with the chain saw to get some cedar aroma in the air. I put a camera on it. Will see what happens. 

Any one else try this before? I have some pics from the last one I did. 

It worked real well. Almost every deer that came into the field gravitated toward that tree scent checking the scrape and rubbing their heads on the overhanging branch. 

I have also seen it done with a piece of rope hanging instead of a branch. 

Something about that lone tree in the field. The bucks tear them up

20180819_153107.thumb.jpg.fa4bb67cec1d4bbf4304c2c9927c77fd.jpg20180819_155524.thumb.jpg.bf21f0786aba39a6a8a7a72b79921766.jpg

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Very nice.  Killin tree right there. Hope that scrape becomes a community scrape for ya. 

Just be sure it's in the ground really well.  I watched a buck one night in a park bend a similar sized tree like it was rubber.  It was crazy. If they knock it down put some big nails in the base. Leave a couple inches of nail sticking out. Put some quickrete in there. Bottle of water for liquid to set it. 

Nick

I think I may try doing a horizontal rub just to see what happens. I personsonally do quite a bit of hingecutting  which  puts  a lot of trees tipped over vertical. I dont see bucks rubbing them. Maybe its the pine scent   Almost all the rubs I see are vertical. Im going to make one.  I have a few downed pines from storms, I should be able to find a nice piece. 

Im going to install it on the other side of my stand in the woods. 

I found a cool video. It starts about midway through. 

https://youtu.be/89nW65mONmQ

www.liftxrentals.com

1 hour ago, tcook8296 said:

I think I may try doing a horizontal rub just to see what happens. I personsonally do quite a bit of hingecutting  which  puts  a lot of trees tipped over vertical. I dont see bucks rubbing them. Maybe its the pine scent   Almost all the rubs I see are vertical. Im going to make one.  I have a few downed pines from storms, I should be able to find a nice piece. 

Im going to install it on the other side of my stand in the woods. 

I found a cool video. It starts about midway through. 

https://youtu.be/89nW65mONmQ

I have been watching the ted Miller videos. I would like to try it as well but looks like it won’t happen this year.  Keep us posted