IGNORED

Sat. PM hunt, zone 15 = BBD!

Lunatic

That's a really big bodied buck for NJ...  My largest body was also my largest rack back in 2011, and weighed only 1 lb more at 179 but also shot 18th of November and was worn down. I wonder what it would have weighed "pre-rut" ?

Even the one I just shot, which weighed 165# dressed was more meat than I knew what to do with, so I can related to the boxes of meat you got back! Basically you just got the meat of 2 mature doe out of one buck. Actually probably more like 2.5 does - since you only had one skeleton, hide and head to weigh.

He was a big boy but most of the deer on this farm are big. Its a working farm so they eat very well. I am going to look at his  teeth to see if I can come up with his age. For now his head in my freezer:-)

He was a big boy but most of the deer on this farm are big. Its a working farm so they eat very well. I am going to look at his  teeth to see if I can come up with his age. For now his head in my freezer:-)

you just need the two bottom incisors for deerage.com.... I will guess 4.5....

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

• 2 weeks later...

He is home. I will change what he is mounted on to something nice I can make out of cedar but that's after the season. For now I am in the wood whenever I can

166490587.m2dekHyB.jpg

166490596.jo4qFCwI.jpg

166490577.MUVtmLLs.jpg

I also got his lower jaw back and here is something very hard for me to believe. looking at the 4th tooth, this deer wants to be 2.5 YO.

Look at the picture below. For him to be older than 2.5 YO the dentine, the dark line, should be double the width of the adjacent Enamel and its not. I know deer eat very well in this area but I have a hard time believing he is 2.5. I am mailing his teeth out to get him aged

166490730.nDtemHDu.jpg

• 1 month later...

When I took him in October I was sure he was at least 3.5 but with the body size of178lb dressed I was thinking older.  

The lower jaw indicated to me 2.5 yo deer. The 3rd premolar  was a double, and no wear on any of the molars,

So I pulled his two incisors and mailed them to DeerAge.com to get him aged. Well, The result is in, he is 4.5. I guess aging them by tooth wear is not exact science, maybe effected buy what they eat,  

166760351.9KbF3q96.jpg

Edited by Lunatic