IGNORED

What do you all consider “backing out?”

Pathman

Morning all, as we wait to hear the hopefully successful recovery of the “video buck” from last night, I wondered what everyone’s idea of “backing out” is. 

I think many hunters have the idea (and I can understand how the TV hunters might give this impression) that backing out means you look for the deer or blood for a little while or a short distance, and then if you don’t find anything you then back out. 

Thats not backing out to me. While I’m really not being critical of the hunter who posted the video, I’m using his situation as an example, if I’m understanding correctly what he actually did. 

“Backing out “ to me means, you quietly climb down from your tree and immediately go in the totally opposite direction you last saw the deer, and do it as quickly and quietly as possible. 

Curious to hear your individual “backing out” method. What would really be useful in evaluating backing out methods would be for anyone who has backed out before to list the comparative success/failure of the particular method used relative to where (what distance) the deer was recovered from the shot location. 

In other words, when you slipped out quietly and immediately, where (how far) was the deer when you found it? If you didn’t slip out immediately, maybe you poked around a bit, maybe tried to track it or follow the direction it went, how far was the deer when/if you found it?

if we could get some accurate data points, it may help hunters in the future to make the best decision on how to proceed after a marginal hit. 

To me it depends a lot on the arrow if you could not know for sure where you hit. He had the video and watched the buck for a dew minutes after thr shot. I for got to ask why he didnt try to put a 2nd arrow in him where he layed down. 2 in him is better than one on a marginal shot. Shot looked clear. On his buck the angle of the shot and placement i would have looked at the arrow for sure. He did watch him walk off a ways. That deer will be found this morning. 

If you know its a gut shot then back out 100% with out looking at the arrow. 

1 minute ago, Buck154 said:

To me it depends a lot on the arrow if you could not know for sure where you hit. He had the video and watched the buck for a dew minutes after thr shot. I for got to ask why he didnt try to put a 2nd arrow in him where he layed down. 2 in him is better than one on a marginal shot. Shot looked clear. On his buck the angle of the shot and placement i would have looked at the arrow for sure. He did watch him walk off a ways. That deer will be found this morning. 

If you know its a gut shot then back out 100% with out looking at the arrow. 

Someone asked why he didn’t put a second shot on him. He said the deer was about 77 yards (if I remember correctly) and he didn’t want to risk taking a shot and the deer running off (good idea in my opinion).

I would usually climb down and find my arrow. If it’s got gut material or brownish/dark blood (liver), I’m backing out and coming back in 3-4 hours. If I see good blood I’ll Try to track.

After taking the shot and observing the deer's initial reaction I consider the following:

Did I see the arrow's point of impact?

From the stand, can I see my arrow or any blood where the deer was hit?

How fast or slow did the animal exit ?

How was the deer's tail movement reacting?

How were other deer reacting to the injured animal? 

What was the  deer's direction of travel?

Did it run off in a reckless pattern as though it wasn't conscious of wear it was going?

Could I hear a lot of limbs and brush snapping as the deer ran off and out of sight? 

Once I have considered this, I then determine my follow-up.

If I am going to back-out, I will wait in the stand/blind until after dark (if on an afternoon hunt) and then climb down and exit the property.

I then will return home,  pullout and review some of my deer anatomy charts before calling friends to determine my recovery plan.

At the current moment, I will not let myself shoot past 30 yards in a tree (reduces chance or err). Backing out to me is waiting for deer to be out of sight, quietly climbing down, visually inspect the arrow (as it would hopefully be within 30yds) and then as quietly as possible get out. While I can recall shot placement, it’s helpful to see the arrow, if possible, so that I can plan accordingly after I’m out.

I've already heard a buck "crash" only to kick them up after waiting an hour to retrieve them. You can never be in too much of a hurry. All of the evidence should be right there in front of you. In my instance mentioned I backed up went home and got him on the same trail some 50 yards away the next morning. He probably would have died if I had only waited a half hour longer than the hour I did. You just don't know unless you see them fall. When in doubt...back out!

Backing out is when I open the drawer and I don’t have anymore...wait never mind. You said backing out. Simple. I saw a bad hit. I’m not sure. I go home take a shower, eat something and return with help either that night or at first light. I never have to second guess myself when I know the shot wasn’t right.