IGNORED

What do you all consider “backing out?”

Pathman

What if i told you to STFU?😂sorry, couldn’t help it, this is still Jersey you know!

if you read all of my posts you’d see I’m simply trying to help some of the less experienced hunters get an understanding of what it means to “back out” and when, and possibly prevent them from losing a deer. 

Secondarily, I’m trying to get an idea of the number of hunters who back out immediately vs. poking around a bit, and whether they found the deer or not, this might give some indication as to the ratio of found Deer/lost Deer, on marginal or uncertain shots, and provide some actual data as to which method for follow up after a shot may be more effective. 

I’m not attempting to reinvent anything, but without data, it’s all just speculation and anecdotal eveidence. 

I agree GB, I’m not implying there would be a definitive answer to every situation by any means, but just a guideline based on some known factors that were somewhat supported by a good number of recoveries/losses. 

Hell, how many times have you heard guys say “it was a perfect broadside shot!” Only to find out later that it was far from perfect. Judgement based on what you call “gut feelings” isn’t always that either. It’s the amount of experience  you have and your ability to recognize, and be aware of, how your shot felt, you watching the arrow hit the Deer through the sight, seeing the deers reaction to the shot, etc. That experience in my view is what makes up your “gut feeling” for the most part. 

Theres no way to teach that, guys have to learn by doing, but if we could offer a little guidance along the way it may help a guy or two. 

Edited by Pathman