IGNORED

Dangers of hiking in dark

Yornei Bor

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

Jack, instead of acting like prey, turn and face that bear while standing tall and tell it to hurry along. They will always leave the area. Bears are highly curious. You weren’t “being stalked” because a black bear can run 30 mph and eat you at will. You were a curiosity to that bear is all and yes, he was trying to figure out if you were food or not. Turning to face the bear and talking to it would mean you are not his next meal. 

hasn't been an issue since the hunt was brought back...

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

5 hours ago, Yornei Bor said:

Preparing for my first solo hunt on public lands…I want to be settled in my climber stand by 6am. That requires starting the one mile hike into the state park around 5:15am.

What’s the risk of getting attacked by a bear out there before dawn? Any other objective risks to consider? I’m bow hunting, so no firearm with me but will have bear spray.

As a hiker, I’ve always followed the “make noise to deter bears” while walking, but that will be counterproductive for my hunt!

Thoughts or concerns? 

Fear of the dark is in your mind.  49 years of hunting, NJ, PA, Del, WA, WY and Colorado I have never drawn my sidearm in fear. Been on edge because of encounters, absolutely. But never in fear of life. Go hunt and enjoy and best of luck to you!

I hunt in bear country and its always in the back of my mind regardless of what anybody says. That being said - walking in with a headlamp on and taking your time youll be fine. Bears are more afraid of you, but if you ever see mama and her cubs - back away. Chances are you won't have that issue going in.

I try and walk carefully but everything is gunna hear you. I go in earlier and i know a lot of others do as well - 

I've had run ins with bear in the dark, sniffing the bottom of the climber platform and walking into them.  You can't see them in the dark, so remember, what you can't see won't hurt ya.  I like how peaceful it is walking in the dark.  Nothing to fear, they fear you more.

I had a bear follow me out of the woods in the dark after an afternoon bowhunt up at the Delaware Water Gap. I didn't know what was following me. I would suddenly stop and turn around to see, thinking it was another hunter. lol. Got to my truck on Old Mine Rd, and a big ole' one just rambles past me, crossing the road.

He was just curious about me, or something. We're in their element, they don't feel threatened, etc by us. Going on 40 years I've bowhunted there, I never give them any mind.  Bears in my back yard ... that's a different story. 

Good luck hunting.

I think you should be more worried about the terrain and getting injured on the walk in as opposed to an animal Attack.  

personally I don’t use any lights when going in darkness.  Just take your time and stop and grab your bearings from time to time to make sure you’re still on the right track.  Good luck.