IGNORED

Dangers of hiking in dark

Yornei Bor

Preparing for my first solo hunt on public lands…I want to be settled in my climber stand by 6am. That requires starting the one mile hike into the state park around 5:15am.

What’s the risk of getting attacked by a bear out there before dawn? Any other objective risks to consider? I’m bow hunting, so no firearm with me but will have bear spray.

As a hiker, I’ve always followed the “make noise to deter bears” while walking, but that will be counterproductive for my hunt!

Thoughts or concerns? 

You’ll be fine. Bears are more scared of you. Use a light if you want but I wouldn’t go making a racket going in if you plan on seeing deer. I would rather go in at first light than make noise going in if you’re nervous about it. 
Good luck enjoy the outdoors!

Edited by Rjtfd

You're all good ! No bears or cats where I am just yotes they don't seem to care if I don't , usually only use ambient light that being said some morning's and night's just seem to be a wall of darkness a small 2" Fenix E-Lite clips on your collar ....  watch out for those medusa roots man they will set you on your ass rapidly and for some reason it hurts more in the dark .... especially in the morning lol " Good Luck ! "

2 hours ago, Yornei Bor said:

Preparing for my first solo hunt on public lands…I want to be settled in my climber stand by 6am. That requires starting the one mile hike into the state park around 5:15am.

What’s the risk of getting attacked by a bear out there before dawn? Any other objective risks to consider? I’m bow hunting, so no firearm with me but will have bear spray.

As a hiker, I’ve always followed the “make noise to deter bears” while walking, but that will be counterproductive for my hunt!

Thoughts or concerns? 

So far, zero NJ hunters have been attacked by a black bear. So that’s your starting point. I prefer a red light when walking in to my stands in the dark. I no longer use any “white light”. Those that know where I hunt in Sparta know I’m in AA Prime bear country and have been for at least three decades, but I carry no spray or weapons unless I’m hunting. And a compound bow is a lousy bear protection weapon for obvious reasons while walking in. Any bear in the woods near you will either hear you or smell you and wander off before you ever know it/they were there. 

i was actually stalked by a big one many years ago.  I would take a step, the animal would take a step. I would stop, it would stop.   First light - my buddy saw a huge bear coming from my stand.  I knew he was behind me but I did not turn around. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

27 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

i was actually stalked by a big one many years ago.  I would take a step, the animal would take a step. I would stop, it would stop.   First light - my buddy saw a huge bear coming from my stand.  I knew he was behind me but I did not turn around. 

Reminds me of Niagara falls... 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

Jack, instead of acting like prey, turn and face that bear while standing tall and tell it to hurry along. They will always leave the area. Bears are highly curious. You weren’t “being stalked” because a black bear can run 30 mph and eat you at will. You were a curiosity to that bear is all and yes, he was trying to figure out if you were food or not. Turning to face the bear and talking to it would mean you are not his next meal. 

Agree with the advice above--go slow, for so  many reasons; use a red light; watch out for trips n falls and sticks poking you in the eye.  Especially in overgrown former fields where the bottom branches of cedars are dying off with the new, invasive understory and few hardwoods that survive blocking out light 

36 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

PRO TIP: Hunt with a buddy, just make sure you can run faster than your buddy and you'll be fine! :rofl:

Just kidding, I don't hunt in bear country but by all accounts I've heard you'll be fine.  Definitely use a light/headlamp to help you navigate! :up:

just remember if you can't outrun your buddy its acceptable to shoot him in the knee the bear is only going to eat the first one he catches...